Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Weil Larry Weil is offline

Default Furnace Costs?

The furnace in my house is 16 years old. It is an oil-fired Sears 75000
btu forced hot air downflow furnace with a Becket burner. It was Searsı
top of the line unit when purchased in 1992. Note that this is a small
house (approx 1000 sq feet), so 75000 btu is more than adequate.

I recently had the unit repaired, several internal parts had to be
replaced. The repair person said I would need a new burner soon,
perhaps in a couple of years. He said perhaps I should get a whole new
furnace at that time, and that it would cost approximately $4000
installed. I am rather leery as to whether this is really needed,
especially considering that the furnace has a lifetime warranty on the
heat exchanger (I know, itıs next to impossible to collect!).

He did not say what it should cost to replace the burner but not the
furnace. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on that (including
installation), as well as whether I really would need to replace the
entire unit?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil