Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Walk in bath tubs with shower and whirlpool

I am looking for the subject. I cannot find a walk in bath on the internet for less than $3000.00 I also have no idea how to put it in, but I watch your show and I will try. Please do a show on the handicap bathroom. I am trying to get my house in order because I have 1 son who served in this on going war Special Forces, my only child, and I do not want to have to depend on him as I am getting older. I would like to install a walk in bath with shower and possibly a whirlpool. I have an A frame and it is hard to redo. Please give me some input! Thank you! If anyone can help me, you can! You are the smartest person I know and you can tell me how. I live alone except for my dear pets! I would like to do this on my own without depending on my son so much. He has a family and he is run to death between me and them! That's why I would like to do it on my own and say I did it! He would be proud! And he deserves it because he left his family to fight terriorsome and I would love to do something on my own for him!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 25, 6:11 pm, Connor Moore connor_us65[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
[...]

Often, the simplest solution -- without a whirlpool -- is a "wet
room". You slope the entire floor towards the drain and tile the
three walls of the shower and almost everything near the shower. Then
you just walk into the shower with no foot-lift whatsoever. Also
works with wheelchairs.

Many upscale homes are going this way because it allows for flexible
use a space and an enormous shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet Room

I'm interested in doing something like that wet room. Can you use cement
board on under the tile on the floor or is it not necessary? I've seen
a certain kind of water barriar that they recommend. Is that needed or
can you just tile your brains out.

My parents had that kind of shower in the basement of a home they
purchased from a tradesman from Italy (old school). I loved that shower.
Walk right in , heck bring a chair if you wan to..

I've got one of my baths ripped down to the studs and I'm looking to go
'old school'..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 25, 10:00*pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
I'm interested in doing something like that wet room. Can you use cement
board on under the tile on the floor or is it not necessary? I've seen
a certain kind of water barriar that they recommend. Is that needed or
can you just tile your brains out.

My parents had that kind of shower in the basement of a home they
purchased from a tradesman from Italy (old school). I loved that shower.
Walk right in , heck bring a chair if you wan to..

I've got one of my baths ripped down to the studs and I'm looking to go
'old school'..

Unfortunately, I'm not a tiler but I think you use regular tiling
techniques. I think the trick is in using light-weight concrete or
something to create your slope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 10:00 pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
I'm interested in doing something like that wet room. Can you use cement
board on under the tile on the floor or is it not necessary? I've seen
a certain kind of water barriar that they recommend. Is that needed or
can you just tile your brains out.

My parents had that kind of shower in the basement of a home they
purchased from a tradesman from Italy (old school). I loved that shower.
Walk right in , heck bring a chair if you wan to..

I've got one of my baths ripped down to the studs and I'm looking to go
'old school'..

I had a bathroom remodled. Removed the tub and put in just a shower. It is
only about 3 feet each way. It is the marble type. The kind that is really
some kind of epoxy that is pored to whatever shape it needed. I only have
to step over a bout a 2 or 3 inch high step. Three sides are the same
marble . The door is glass. Also had the sink made out of the matching
material.

I enjoy just stepping in and not haveing to worry very much about slipping.
We did have a steel rod sort of like a towel holder installed in the shower
to act as a grab bar. Nice to hold on to that while lifting up a foot to
soap it up.

I do have another regular tub with a shower head upstairs, but I have not
taken a tub bath in about 40 years , except one or two times when I just
felt like soaking after a hard days work in the yard. My wife will use the
tub once or twice a month. Sometimes she just likes to soak also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 25, 11:28 pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

Just a thought. It is often people have "a towel holder installed in
the shower to act as a grab bar", it is often better to use grab bars
for everything and "use a grab bar as a towel holder".