Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Wet Room

"Pat" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 10:00 pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
I'm interested in doing something like that wet room. Can you use cement
board on under the tile on the floor or is it not necessary? I've seen
a certain kind of water barriar that they recommend. Is that needed or
can you just tile your brains out.

My parents had that kind of shower in the basement of a home they
purchased from a tradesman from Italy (old school). I loved that shower.
Walk right in , heck bring a chair if you wan to..

I've got one of my baths ripped down to the studs and I'm looking to go
'old school'..

I had a bathroom remodled. Removed the tub and put in just a shower. It is
only about 3 feet each way. It is the marble type. The kind that is really
some kind of epoxy that is pored to whatever shape it needed. I only have
to step over a bout a 2 or 3 inch high step. Three sides are the same
marble . The door is glass. Also had the sink made out of the matching
material.

I enjoy just stepping in and not haveing to worry very much about slipping.
We did have a steel rod sort of like a towel holder installed in the shower
to act as a grab bar. Nice to hold on to that while lifting up a foot to
soap it up.

I do have another regular tub with a shower head upstairs, but I have not
taken a tub bath in about 40 years , except one or two times when I just
felt like soaking after a hard days work in the yard. My wife will use the
tub once or twice a month. Sometimes she just likes to soak also.