Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lead pan for a walk in shower

I am building a 6' X 3' Walk in shower in a Co- Op which does require
the use of a lead pan instead of Vinyl. My contractor informed me that
the biggest sheet of lead is 4' X 4' and that he has to combine two
sheets. But the problem is that he did not know how to make the seam
water tight. Can anybody explain it to me?

Thank you,

Stef

Posted to alt.home.repair

stef wrote in
oups.com:

I am building a 6' X 3' Walk in shower in a Co- Op which does require
the use of a lead pan instead of Vinyl. My contractor informed me that
the biggest sheet of lead is 4' X 4' and that he has to combine two
sheets. But the problem is that he did not know how to make the seam
water tight. Can anybody explain it to me?

Thank you,

Stef

solder it?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"stef" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a 6' X 3' Walk in shower in a Co- Op which does require
the use of a lead pan instead of Vinyl. My contractor informed me that
the biggest sheet of lead is 4' X 4' and that he has to combine two
sheets. But the problem is that he did not know how to make the seam
water tight. Can anybody explain it to me?

Overlap the sheets and heat them. Lead will join together at the right
temperature. A large iron is better than a torch as you can get better
control. He should practice on the scrap cut off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would choose another contractor thats experienced doing this rather
than a newbie in training, the shower should last a lifetime.

he should at least know how to find a qualified sub......

Do I need to vent a walk in shower that is replacing a tub/shower combo? [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 7th 18 10:44 PM
Cement for shower pan Em Home Repair 7 December 21st 05 08:43 PM
Shower pan tests? Savoire Faire Home Repair 4 July 20th 05 12:32 PM
Shower Pan Reline Joe S Home Repair 23 April 7th 05 05:08 PM
shower pan question Home Repair 2 July 1st 03 12:53 AM