Default shower pan question

"Paul Orwell" wrote in message

To repair a tiled-in shower basin, the tile and substrate has to be
removed at the floor, curb, and walls to approx. 12". Then a new
membrane installed, refloated with mortar and tile installed. All
without breaching the new liner/membrane. Not a task for a beginner.
Nor for many who consider themselves pros these days. Beware of any who
can't use mortar substrates and rely upon backerboards.

I'm not tempted to try and do the tile work myself. How much of a problem
do you think I will have matching tile that was installed 23 yrs ago? What
are your thoughts on just tearing the tile out and replacing with shower
panel board or a fiberglass enclosure?

thanks for the feedback,
Tony

Greg O

wrote in message
One of our bathrooms in our 23 yr. old house has an all-tile enclosed
shower - 3 walls and ceiling, extending outside the shower around the

door.
(lots of tile) The shower pan recently started leaking and I'm trying to
decide whether it's better to try and repair it or do a major remodel.

Blow it up and replace it with a one piece shower surround!
That is what I am doing now with mine!
Greg

MLD

Am getting ready to rebuild the same kind of shower stall that has a
terrazzo shower pan, got a leak somewhere too.. Over the years (30+) the
terrazzo has worn. Want to replace the pan but by today's standard it is
slightly on the small size (by about an inch) and apparently not to code.
Can't find one that will fit in the exact same space and the proposed
solution is pour a new base. One can be made for abut $150. Considered a
one or two piece fiber glass shower panels but decided to go with 8x9
ceramic tile. Reason: tile looks better, will create an attractive design,
and the fact that the fiber glass can get embedded dirt that is hard to
clean. I know that tile is not maintenance free but after every shower we
use a tile spray "Shower Power" or the like and they do a reasonable job of
keeping things pretty clean.
MLD