Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hacksaw Blades Orientation ?

Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the below.
This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades should be
forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have, (I was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is the
magazine talking about here?

Also, if the blades are installed facing forward, doesn't that impede
progress when pulling the blade back? You move a saw forward and back, not
in just one direction, of course ? So, if the blades were facing forward,
they would be tougher to pull back, no?

So, how should hacksaw blades be oriented, please ?

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the below.
This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades should be
forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have, (I was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is the
magazine talking about here?

They're talking about which direction the teeth are pointed.

Also, if the blades are installed facing forward, doesn't that impede
progress when pulling the blade back? You move a saw forward and back, not
in just one direction, of course ? So, if the blades were facing forward,
they would be tougher to pull back, no?

??? Not sure where you're going with this. It should be obvious that if the
teeth are pointed forward, it will be more difficult to move the saw forward,
because that's the cutting stroke. Moving it backward is just pulling it back
into position to begin another cutting stroke.

So, how should hacksaw blades be oriented, please ?

Whichever way works best for you. Usually, that's with the teeth forward; the
steel frame of the hacksaw is more than strong enough to keep sufficient
tension on the blade even though you're pushing it through the cut.

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

European and North American wood saws have thick, heavy blades with the teeth
pointed forward, and cut on the push stroke. Asian (especially Japanese) wood
saws have thin, light blades with the teeth pointed backward (toward the
handle) and cut on the pull stroke. Take your pick.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

I took a look at the saws that I have, (I was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is the
magazine talking about here?

Well, Bob, they're primarily talking about the fact that you should stop
trolling usenet, and get some of those honey-dos out of the way this
weekend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the
below. This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades
should be forward.

I install mine with teeth pointing downward.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

My DIY book says "teeth pointed away from the handle". My permanent
wood saws are the same. Both cut on the forward stroke.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

My current hacksaw blade has a notation on it, that says "this end forward"
with an arrow. I too saw the Handyman article and checked my hacksaw and
blade.
Perry

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , "Robert11"
wrote:
[...]

Sortta like do you pull or push the caulking gun. The object you are
working on doesn't really care.

Usually, that's with the teeth
forward; the steel frame of the hacksaw is more than strong enough to
keep sufficient tension on the blade even though you're pushing it
through the cut.

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

European and North American wood saws have thick, heavy blades with
the teeth pointed forward, and cut on the push stroke. Asian
(especially Japanese) wood saws have thin, light blades with the teeth
pointed backward (toward the handle) and cut on the pull stroke. Take
your pick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in
:

[...]

for wood saws,there are both push type blades,and pull type blades,the only
difference being the direction the teeth are oriented.Japanese saws are
pull blades,they can be made thinner,the tension keeping the blade
straight,and thus cut easier with a narrower kerf.A push-cut blade has to
be thicker to stay straight.
On a hacksaw that tensions the blade with the frame,it doesn't matter which
way the teeth are oriented,you can set it they way you prefer.
Most people use it the push-cut way.
On the non-cutting[return] stroke,you are -supposed- to lift the blade so
as to not wear the teeth(just like a file).
Most people don't lift on the return stroke.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Robert11" wrote:

Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the below.
This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades should be
forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have, (I was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is the
magazine talking about here?

They're talking about which direction the teeth are pointed.

Hook, line and sinker, Doug.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 25, 7:39 am, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

I don't think you're allowed to ask about blade orientation. This is
a "don't ask, don't tell NG".

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Hook, line and sinker, Doug.

Jeff

Yeah, I'm glad someone said it. And he wasn't alone. The number of
people that fall for the most blatant, obvious trolls makes me worry
about our little congregation, here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Where's the guy who says, "LOOK IT UP IN GOOGLE YOU DUMB ASSHOLE"?

Fact is, the article was probably written by someone who got fifty bucks for
writing it, and doesn't know anything about the subject. Sounds like it.

I have used a hack saw many a time in my life. Sometimes, it's in tight
obstructed spaces where for some reason changing everything has a great
advantage. Have you ever disassembled a hack saw, put it around what you
want to cut, turned the blade upside down (cutter in one direction because
that's the way you get the best stroke), and then assembled it with it
purposely wrapping around the cut piece?

If you answer no, you don't have the experience to even comment on this
subject.

If hacksaw blades were meant to go only one way, they'd be manufactured like
SawZall and jigsaw blades. You CAN put those in backwards, but you really
have to work on it, and usually realize there's something wrong before you
power it up.

You can use a hack saw any old way you want. You just have to look at it
and see which way the blade is set to cut, or you will work up a sweat
quickly. They DO work forward, backward, right side up, and upside down.
You can even buy little tiny ones for short work.

Positioning varies with each job. And with wood saws, you can't usually
turn the blade around, hence backsaws.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:39:11 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

[...]

In reality, it doesn't matter. One way you cut on the push stroke,
the other way on the pull stroke. My hacksaw blade cuts on the push
stroke. My dozuki saw cuts on the pull stroke, but all other saws cut
on the push stroke.