Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Hacksaw Blades Orientation ?

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the below.
This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades should be
forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have, (I was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is the
magazine talking about here?

They're talking about which direction the teeth are pointed.

Also, if the blades are installed facing forward, doesn't that impede
progress when pulling the blade back? You move a saw forward and back, not
in just one direction, of course ? So, if the blades were facing forward,
they would be tougher to pull back, no?

??? Not sure where you're going with this. It should be obvious that if the
teeth are pointed forward, it will be more difficult to move the saw forward,
because that's the cutting stroke. Moving it backward is just pulling it back
into position to begin another cutting stroke.

So, how should hacksaw blades be oriented, please ?

Whichever way works best for you. Usually, that's with the teeth forward; the
steel frame of the hacksaw is more than strong enough to keep sufficient
tension on the blade even though you're pushing it through the cut.

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

European and North American wood saws have thick, heavy blades with the teeth
pointed forward, and cut on the push stroke. Asian (especially Japanese) wood
saws have thin, light blades with the teeth pointed backward (toward the
handle) and cut on the pull stroke. Take your pick.

--
Regards,