Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default Hacksaw Blades Orientation ?

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the below.
This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades should
be
forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have, (I
was
curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to have
blades
facing forward or back. They all look to be facing downward, so what is
the
magazine talking about here?

Also, if the blades are installed facing forward, doesn't that impede
progress when pulling the blade back? You move a saw forward and back,
not
in just one direction, of course ? So, if the blades were facing
forward,
they would be tougher to pull back, no?

So, how should hacksaw blades be oriented, please ?

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

Much thanks,
Bob

I don't think you're allowed to ask about blade orientation. This is
a "don't ask, don't tell NG".

Where's the guy who says, "LOOK IT UP IN GOOGLE YOU DUMB ASSHOLE"?

Fact is, the article was probably written by someone who got fifty bucks for
writing it, and doesn't know anything about the subject. Sounds like it.

I have used a hack saw many a time in my life. Sometimes, it's in tight
obstructed spaces where for some reason changing everything has a great
advantage. Have you ever disassembled a hack saw, put it around what you
want to cut, turned the blade upside down (cutter in one direction because
that's the way you get the best stroke), and then assembled it with it
purposely wrapping around the cut piece?

If you answer no, you don't have the experience to even comment on this
subject.

If hacksaw blades were meant to go only one way, they'd be manufactured like
SawZall and jigsaw blades. You CAN put those in backwards, but you really
have to work on it, and usually realize there's something wrong before you
power it up.

You can use a hack saw any old way you want. You just have to look at it
and see which way the blade is set to cut, or you will work up a sweat
quickly. They DO work forward, backward, right side up, and upside down.
You can even buy little tiny ones for short work.

Positioning varies with each job. And with wood saws, you can't usually
turn the blade around, hence backsaws.

Steve