Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Hacksaw Blades Orientation ?

"Robert11" wrote in
:

Hi,

Was looking at the Home Handyman magazine, and mentioned was the
below. This is a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

Someone questioned about how to install a hacksaw blade, forward or
backward, and said his two reliable sources told him it didn't matter.
Family Handyman said the sources weren't so reliable; the blades
should be forward.

Guess my question is twofold: I took a look at the saws that I have,
(I was curious, not just with the hacksaw), and none of them appear to
have blades facing forward or back. They all look to be facing
downward, so what is the magazine talking about here?

Also, if the blades are installed facing forward, doesn't that impede
progress when pulling the blade back? You move a saw forward and
back, not in just one direction, of course ? So, if the blades were
facing forward, they would be tougher to pull back, no?

So, how should hacksaw blades be oriented, please ?

How about wood type saws also, since we are on the subject ?

Much thanks,
Bob

for wood saws,there are both push type blades,and pull type blades,the only
difference being the direction the teeth are oriented.Japanese saws are
pull blades,they can be made thinner,the tension keeping the blade
straight,and thus cut easier with a narrower kerf.A push-cut blade has to
be thicker to stay straight.
On a hacksaw that tensions the blade with the frame,it doesn't matter which
way the teeth are oriented,you can set it they way you prefer.
Most people use it the push-cut way.
On the non-cutting[return] stroke,you are -supposed- to lift the blade so
as to not wear the teeth(just like a file).
Most people don't lift on the return stroke.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik