Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Insulate Recessed lighting

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't believe anything is made specifically for this purpose. If you
install any type of insulation close enough to trap the heat, the units may
overheat and shut off by an internal high temperature cutout. I've seen
people make fairly large boxes to cover them, and then insulate over the
box.

wrote in message
I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. *I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. *The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. *Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? *I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about using that foil covered
bubble wrap stuff to make housing that would be a few inches bigger
than the light housing. What do you think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about using that foil covered
bubble wrap stuff to make housing that would be a few inches bigger
than the light housing. What do you think?

sounds like a good way for a fire. some can's aren't rated to be covered.
you should investigate what kind you have before doing something to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 3:11*pm, "charlie"
wrote:

wrote in message

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply. *I was thinking about using that foil covered
bubble wrap stuff to make housing that would be a few inches bigger
than the light housing. * What do you think?

sounds like a good way for a fire. some can's aren't rated to be covered.
you should investigate what kind you have before doing something to them.- Hide quoted text -

Agree. If it's not IC rated, then insulation must be kept 3+" away
from the sides and none on top. If it's IC rated, then insulation
can be placed next to and/or over it. I don't know what kind of
product "foil covered bubble wrap stuff is. I would use a
conventional product, ie fiberglass, etc. And of course that assumes
you can get to the top of the fixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Couple of questions. Are these fixtures "IC" rated? If so, you can
place insulation in direct contact.

See: http://www.insulate.org/tech3.html

Secondly, have you removed the trim to verify the openings are
properly caulked and sealed? If they were not, that should be this
weekend's project.

Cheers,
Paul

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:42:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The bubble stuff may not be rigid enough. You want something that would keep
a decent air flow around the fixture, and be fixed at least 3 inches away
from the fixture. Maybe some type of metal basket, covered with the wrap.

wrote in message

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about using that foil covered
bubble wrap stuff to make housing that would be a few inches bigger
than the light housing. What do you think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 12:55*pm, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. No these are not IC rated. And, no there is no caulking
between the light fixture and the drywall. I have read that some
where else, but my question is how will caulking between the light
fixture and the drywall help? The whole fixture is open to the attic
so all the air can go right up through the housing for the lights. I
just looked and when I reached up there to look at a light, the metal
housing the light sets in is freezing cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:
[...]

Some of these housing have more holes in them than Swiss cheese for
adjustments and various facing attachment points. Caulk around the edge
between the housing and the drywall and use some self-adhesive metallic
aluminium duct tape to seal all the perforations and openings inside the can
to prevent air from blowing into the house. Until you can work out a way to
cover or replace them this should reduce the heat loss a little.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

cover or replace them this should reduce the heat loss a little.- Hide quoted text -

You are correct there are a ton of holes in them. That is a good
Idea. It won't insulate, but it will stop the air from blowing in and
or out.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't have 70 fixtures, but the ones I had leaked a lot.

It was a lot of work, but I got a bunch of gallon paint cans
to slip over the recess fixtures. Bung a hole for the
Greenfield to exit. Caulk the paint can right to the
drywall and even caulk the Greenfield exit.

That's not a one-size-fits-all solution. Some fixtures
*might* overheat, though I doubt it; there is a lot of
surface area on the paint can to get rid of heat.

If Code compliance is a worry, you better not touch them at all!

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is, hot air is supposed to rise and escape through those holes.
If you are using the maximum wattage lamp in the fixture, and you restrict
the air flow, it will probably cause the high limits to cut out

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. I would be leery of making any alterations to these
fixtures, given the potential risk to the wiring and sockets. After
several hours of use, my IC-rated fixtures get extremely hot, even
when equipped with 25-watt CFL PAR38s.

Cheers,
Paul

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:38:43 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

The problem is, hot air is supposed to rise and escape through those holes.
If you are using the maximum wattage lamp in the fixture, and you restrict
the air flow, it will probably cause the high limits to cut out

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

The best thing is to build boxes out of drywall to completely encapsulate
the recessed lights. They should be bigger than the lights of course to
allow extra air inside of them. You should also allow several inches of air
space on top as well. The drywall boxes can be mudded and taped to the
backside of the existing ceiling to make it completely air tight.

You didn't mention what size bulbs you are using, but if they are only 75
watt or less, heat build up will not be a concern. If you use bulbs over
100 watts and you find that the fixtures are going off on thermal overload
you could make a few tiny holes in the top of the drywall boxes to allow hot
air to pass through.

I think that there are companies that make boxes to put behind recessed
lights to control air movement, but I couldn't name one off hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The best thing is to build boxes out of drywall to completely encapsulate
the recessed lights. *They should be bigger than the lights of course to
allow extra air inside of them. *You should also allow several inches of air
space on top as well. *The drywall boxes can be mudded and taped to the
backside of the existing ceiling to make it completely air tight.

You didn't mention what size bulbs you are using, but if they are only 75
watt or less, heat build up will not be a concern. *If you use bulbs over
100 watts and you find that the fixtures are going off on thermal overload
you could make a few tiny holes in the top of the drywall boxes to allow hot
air to pass through.

I think that there are companies that make boxes to put behind recessed
lights to control air movement, but I couldn't name one off hand.

I was hoping that there was something I could buy like you mentioned
above ...

I think that there are companies that make boxes to put behind recessed
lights to control air movement, but I couldn't name one off hand.

I might try and make some boxes out of sheet rock. I might be able
make a bunch before hand and just set them over the lights. I know, I
need to make sure I have a least 3 inches between the box and the
light fixture.

I have had problems in the past with these lights overheating and
cutting off (they are the 65 watt flood light). I solved the
overheating problem by putting Florescent bulbs in those that were
overheating and as they burn out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

The standard IC lights are rated for 75 watts. A non-IC light is usually
rated for 150 watts. If you are having a problem with a 65 watt bulb you
may need to replace the thermal cut-out inside the fixtures. Are the lights
that were giving you problems covered with insulation?

What brand of fixtures are these? Do you know the model number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/home_im...OR_100_dpi.pdf

--
Tony Sivori

recessed lighting cj Home Repair 2 March 14th 06 01:54 AM
Airtight IC Recessed Lighting [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 11th 06 01:21 AM
recessed lighting? no thank you effi Home Repair 44 January 30th 05 06:20 PM
Recessed lighting. rw Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 05:21 PM
Recessed Lighting TrueWest Home Repair 2 November 18th 04 02:07 AM