Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How to Insulate Recessed lighting

wrote:

I have a bunch (over 70) recessed lights in my house. I can feel cold
are coming through the lights. The house was built around 1989 so the
lights can not have insulation touching them. Does anyone know of
anything I can use to insulate them? I was thinking of something that
I could put over them (like a jacket or something) that is heat
resistant.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Someone does make a vaccu-formed enclosure for insulating and sealing
around non-IC recessed fixtures. I've seen them used on one of the This
Old House or Hometime type shows. It was about a 12" cube with an inch
or so flange on the bottom that you placed over the recessed fixture and
sealed down with a bead of caulk. No idea who makes them, but you can
probably find a reference to them on one of those TV program sites.