Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Insulate Recessed lighting

wrote in message

The best thing is to build boxes out of drywall to completely encapsulate
the recessed lights. They should be bigger than the lights of course to
allow extra air inside of them. You should also allow several inches of

air
space on top as well. The drywall boxes can be mudded and taped to the
backside of the existing ceiling to make it completely air tight.

You didn't mention what size bulbs you are using, but if they are only 75
watt or less, heat build up will not be a concern. If you use bulbs over
100 watts and you find that the fixtures are going off on thermal overload
you could make a few tiny holes in the top of the drywall boxes to allow

hot
air to pass through.

I think that there are companies that make boxes to put behind recessed
lights to control air movement, but I couldn't name one off hand.

I was hoping that there was something I could buy like you mentioned
above ...

I think that there are companies that make boxes to put behind recessed
lights to control air movement, but I couldn't name one off hand.

I might try and make some boxes out of sheet rock. I might be able
make a bunch before hand and just set them over the lights. I know, I
need to make sure I have a least 3 inches between the box and the
light fixture.

I have had problems in the past with these lights overheating and
cutting off (they are the 65 watt flood light). I solved the
overheating problem by putting Florescent bulbs in those that were
overheating and as they burn out.

The standard IC lights are rated for 75 watts. A non-IC light is usually
rated for 150 watts. If you are having a problem with a 65 watt bulb you
may need to replace the thermal cut-out inside the fixtures. Are the lights
that were giving you problems covered with insulation?

What brand of fixtures are these? Do you know the model number?