Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Ryobi question

On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

I have a Ryobi table saw, a Ryobi scroll saw and several palm sanders.
All work well and have lasted 12 years, so far. I recommend Ryobi for
home owner use, not heavy construction use. Chuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

I have a Ryobi circular saw, a reciprocating saw, and a cordless drill - for
home use, they're fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 7:50*am, "Casual Observer"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- * responded in
part with the following comment.
* * "If you want low end, check out brands like
* * Ryobi. *Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. *After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

I have a Ryobi circular saw, a reciprocating saw, and a cordless drill - for
home use, they're fine.

B&D is bottom of the barrel, I had a contractor with all Ryobi and he
said he was happy, for H.O., hobby use it should be fine, for everyday
commercial they dont last as long as high priced stuff , but Ryobi is
cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Jan 16, 7:50 am, "Casual Observer"
wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article ,
"Bob" wrote:

[...]

The only Ryobi I have is a 6" RO buffer for waxing the truck and it
works great and was all of about $20 including a nice BM case. I don't
think I'd substitute a Ryobi for my Hilti or Milwaukee tools, but for
the less critical stuff Ryobi seems to be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 2:33*am, "Bob" wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- * responded in
part with the following comment.
* * "If you want low end, check out brands like
* * Ryobi. *Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. *After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

I bought a Ryobi riding mower several yiears ago. Abused it terribly
by mulching mown hay, etc. Surprisingly, it only lasted 3 years.

Don't know who builds them but that mower was MTD under the hood. The
same mower, identical except for paint, was also badged as a Yard Man.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

I've had several Ryobi tools: a 9.6V cordless drill that's still going
strong after 9 years (my son has it now), a 9" bandsaw that cut out many
solid guitar bodies, an oscillating drum sander, and one each of the 10"
and 12" drill presses. All have served me well.

--Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

nick hull wrote:
In article
,
ransley wrote:

I have a Ryobi circular saw, a reciprocating saw, and a cordless drill - for
home use, they're fine.

I have several Ryobi cordless drills, the drills are fine but the
batteries don't last.

;(

I bought the combination set that included 8 cordless tools from
drills to a light weight chain saw. The chain saw is not much to crow
about but the rest of the tools have been outstanding. The batteries
have lasted well (over 18 months of use) and give me all the power I
need for most jobs. Ryobi had also come out with some new batteries
that will work with my current tools but have much more power and
endurance. Thus far, the Ryobi have been far superior to the Black
and Deckers that I had been using.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:20:54 -0600, nick hull wrote:

In article
,
ransley wrote:

I have a Ryobi circular saw, a reciprocating saw, and a cordless drill - for
home use, they're fine.

I have several Ryobi cordless drills, the drills are fine but the
batteries don't last.

I can attest to this, and that's why I got rid of the Ryobi cordless
drill and went to a 12V DeWalt, which seems to be holding up better
for my usage patterns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use). I have
never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I am now
reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi equipment
before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied with.

To give a little more information, the correct answer is "it depends".

Ryobi is far from the best tool around, but they are OK for the guy that is
going to use a tool once every six months for a simple job. It is not what
I'd recommend for a pro or serious hobbyist that wants perfection and
accuracy.

If you are planning on scroll sawing Christmas decorations for a Cub Scout
project, by all means, get the Ryobi. If you plan to make artistic
renderings and intarsia work, get a DeWalt at a minimum and there will be a
difference. If this is a serious hobby, go for the better tool.

Read the Delta review here for a timely comment
http://www.kerrysworld.com/ScrollSaw_Reviews.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

FWIW, I bought one of the combos Home Depot had on a super sale the day
after Thanksgiving -- so I've used it for a couple of months. It works,
but it's nothing special. The circular saw is pretty weak, the drill
is ok -- on a par with what Harbor Freight sells for about half as much,
but the radio is quite good.

YMMV. JMHO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/08 11:37 pm CJT wrote:

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in part
with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use). I
have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I am
now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied with.

FWIW, I bought one of the combos Home Depot had on a super sale the day
after Thanksgiving -- so I've used it for a couple of months. It works,
but it's nothing special. The circular saw is pretty weak, the drill
is ok -- on a par with what Harbor Freight sells for about half as much,
but the radio is quite good.

YMMV. JMHO.

I bought the same Black Friday package, it seems. To me the saw and the
drill seem fine, the light is so-so, and the radio is junk.

I also bought the compound miter saw just b4 Christmas. To me it seems
OK, but I have nothing with which to compare it.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 2:33*am, "Bob" wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- * responded in
part with the following comment.
* * "If you want low end, check out brands like
* * Ryobi. *Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. *After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

I have purchased plenty of Ryobi power tools. Typically I buy Ryobi
if it is something that I will be using occassionally and I want
something that is decent quality but I don't want to spend the amount
of money that professional grade requires. They are definately a big
step over harbor freight and Black and Decker but they are not on par
with Milwaukee, Makita, etc. If I were in the market for a new scroll
saw, I would consider Ryobi.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby
use). I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this
comment, I am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Thanks for all your input. I still haven't decided, but there was a
very good
site posted in one response, so I'll dig deeper.
Thanks again.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

FWIW, I have a Ryobi cordless hammer-drill and I only used the hammer
feature once. I now have a drill that doesn't work. The chuck was so
cheap (soft) that one use of the hammer feature destroyed the teeth on
the mount and the chuck is loose, but no getting it off short of
torching it is out of the question. I now have a DeWalt kit and the
clutch is trash. On setting #1 it will drive a deck screw through a 2x4
if you have a long enough bit! Very tempted to go out an buy a Milwaukee.

OTOH, I have use other corded power tools (not owned) and they seem to
hold up fine in average home owner use.

Ryobi 3x21 belt sander question [email protected] Woodworking 8 March 16th 07 05:51 PM
Ryobi-Troyobi Eric R Snow Metalworking 0 May 25th 06 03:33 PM
Ryobi One+ kakakawai UK diy 9 November 27th 05 12:27 PM
RYOBI 6x18 MINI LATHE,Ryobi means quality! [email protected] Woodworking 4 September 7th 05 11:14 PM
Question on Ryobi 16/32 Sander George Gibeau Woodworking 7 October 10th 04 03:23 PM