Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony[_3_] Mike Dobony[_3_] is offline

Default Ryobi question

Bob wrote:
On a previous post about HF junk tools, Edwin P--- responded in
part with the following comment.
"If you want low end, check out brands like
Ryobi. Most of there stuff is serviceable at least. "

I was/am considering buying a Ryobi scroll saw (for new hobby use).
I have never owned a Ryobi anything. After reading this comment, I
am now reconsidering.

I'd appreciate comments from others who are familiar with Ryobi
equipment before I invest in something that I won't be satisfied
with.

Thanks, Bob-tx

FWIW, I have a Ryobi cordless hammer-drill and I only used the hammer
feature once. I now have a drill that doesn't work. The chuck was so
cheap (soft) that one use of the hammer feature destroyed the teeth on
the mount and the chuck is loose, but no getting it off short of
torching it is out of the question. I now have a DeWalt kit and the
clutch is trash. On setting #1 it will drive a deck screw through a 2x4
if you have a long enough bit! Very tempted to go out an buy a Milwaukee.

OTOH, I have use other corded power tools (not owned) and they seem to
hold up fine in average home owner use.