Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Price of a new gas furnace

I'm looking to buy a new gas furnace to heat 1400 sq. ft. home. I
just wonder what the price range on these thing is. I did some
research but the price range for units is so huge, anywhere between ~
$1000 to $5000. Currently I have a Carrier that just died on me. I'm
going to have a tech come out tomorrow to see if it is fixable, but I
have to be prepared to get a new one. BTW, what brand would you
recommend?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 11:39*pm, wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new gas furnace to heat 1400 sq. ft. home. *I
just wonder what the price range on these thing is. *I did some
research but the price range for units is so huge, anywhere between ~
$1000 to $5000. *Currently I have a Carrier that just died on me. *I'm
going to have a tech come out tomorrow to see if it is fixable, but I
have to be prepared to get a new one. *BTW, what brand would you
recommend?

Consumer reports did a apx 5 yr poll of maybe 35000 and found Goodman
by an obvious margin the worst, most others were close, subscribe to
them for the review. You pay for the experiance of the installer, you
need a load calculation done. 1000.00 wont get you an install. With NG
looking to go up forever get a 94%+ efficent unit
Posted to alt.home.repair

A rough estimate would be about 3 grand, roughly half of which is the cost
of the equipment and half is the labor, for a high efficiency unit from
quality brand sources like Bryant, Heil, Lennox, Carrier, etc. I'm using a
75,000 BTU/hr unit in a 1500 square foot house in the Northeast and had mine
replaced 2 years ago for a little under $3000 including a new humnidifier.

Smarty

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jan 13, 11:39 pm, wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new gas furnace to heat 1400 sq. ft. home. I
just wonder what the price range on these thing is. I did some
research but the price range for units is so huge, anywhere between ~
$1000 to $5000. Currently I have a Carrier that just died on me. I'm
going to have a tech come out tomorrow to see if it is fixable, but I
have to be prepared to get a new one. BTW, what brand would you
recommend?

Consumer reports did a apx 5 yr poll of maybe 35000 and found Goodman
by an obvious margin the worst, most others were close, subscribe to
them for the review. You pay for the experiance of the installer, you
need a load calculation done. 1000.00 wont get you an install. With NG
looking to go up forever get a 94%+ efficent unit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:00:51 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

#1 is getting a good contractor. Really you want two so you have two
competitive bids.

#2 is going with the contractor. Let the contractor pick the brand and size
etc. They know what works well in your area and what will have parts
available etc. They also will be more familiar with the installation
process for it.

The contractor might pick the furnace with the highest profit margin
and not the one best for the consumer. I'd have the contractor
determine the size required, then do my own shopping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lanman" wrote in message

The contractor might pick the furnace with the highest profit margin
and not the one best for the consumer. I'd have the contractor
determine the size required, then do my own shopping.

While he may do that, his is more likely to choose the brand with the least
problems, the least number of service calls, the least headaches. The
contractor may have experience installing 100 units of Brand X, but you may
be the first install for him of Brand Y. False economy there as you are
giving him a learning experience with your new furnace. Trust the
contractor if he is a good one and you will get the best value.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"lanman" wrote in message

The contractor might pick the furnace with the highest profit margin
and not the one best for the consumer. I'd have the contractor
determine the size required, then do my own shopping.

While he may do that, his is more likely to choose the brand with the least
problems, the least number of service calls, the least headaches. The
contractor may have experience installing 100 units of Brand X, but you may
be the first install for him of Brand Y. False economy there as you are
giving him a learning experience with your new furnace. Trust the
contractor if he is a good one and you will get the best value.

Or he may pick the one with the MOST service calls, to maximize his
future profits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a personal friend, a retired HVAC teacher thinks highly of the goodman
because it uses standard off the shelp low cost parts, avoiding the
OEM part discontinued issues.

he has no fiancial interest whatsoever
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
a personal friend, a retired HVAC teacher thinks highly of the goodman
because it uses standard off the shelp low cost parts, avoiding the
OEM part discontinued issues.

he has no fiancial interest whatsoever

I thought maybe he DID have a financial interest and that is why he is
"retired" now.

Like they say:

They sell a lot of Goodmans, but then, so were a lot of Yugos......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:39:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new gas furnace to heat 1400 sq. ft. home. I
just wonder what the price range on these thing is. I did some
research but the price range for units is so huge, anywhere between ~
$1000 to $5000. Currently I have a Carrier that just died on me. I'm
going to have a tech come out tomorrow to see if it is fixable, but I
have to be prepared to get a new one. BTW, what brand would you
recommend?

I went to a warehouse sized HVAC parts company that tradespeople go
to for parts and whole systems. The product price is the same for
trademen or for walk in customers unless there is a trade discount I
am not aware of. Now if I get a quote from a HVAC installation
company I'll know if he is fair or price gouging.

The best part is there were floor displays of the new high efficiency
furnace models (one brand only) and they had their best selling model
(sized to the average house) opened up so that I could examine in
great detail the construction of that furnace. With that I got a good
idea of the claims of superior efficiency as printed in the glossy ads
and will be able to make an informed comparison of different furnace
models and from different furnace manufacturers. I will also be able
to troubleshoot that furnace and do my own fixes since I can see where
every part goes, how the modules are interconnected and which panels
to remove to get access for repairs.

I read installation manual. The tradesman installer will have to
comply with exactly the same specs and instructions if he is to comply
with the regulations. This means he can't BS about special
modifications for the air handling connections or charging for
accessory parts that are already included in the installation kit.

The best part is that the installation is easy enough that I can
install the furnace myself. What do you do if you live in the
boondocks and can't get an installer. You do it yourself. To test
that DIY assumption I asked detailed questions with the counter sales
guy and from his replies he was a journeyman who knew his products.
He was very generous with his knowledge and advice.

The high efficieny furnace is shorter than my existing furnace but
otherwise similar in horizontal dimensions. Instead of having a
make-up plenum to bridge the gap my idea is to build a shelf out of
welded steel square tube and raise the HE furnace to fit the existing
ducting. That guy liked the idea and sees no reason why it shouldn't
work.

My existing furnace is good for at least another ten years. So its
not a project I will do nay time soon. But the knowledge I gained is
very useful and comforting. If my furnace quits I know exctly what I
will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bennyzebs had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ce-281384-.htm
:

There are lots of gas furnaces that I can recommend. Your best best is to
look on EBay for the best deals. Good luck.

http://www.natural-gas-furnace-prices.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"bennyzebs" wrote in message
oups.com...
bennyzebs had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ce-281384-.htm
:

There are lots of gas furnaces that I can recommend. Your best best is to
look on EBay for the best deals. Good luck.

http://www.natural-gas-furnace-prices.com

It is no different than asking the price a new car!