Posted to alt.home.repair
yossarian

Default Furnace/Air Conditioner Install - Price Question

I have received quotes to install a new furnace and A/C unit at our
house and wanted to get a sanity check on the price.

The load calc indicates a need for a 120,000 BTU unit and a 4 ton A/C.
The units would replace a 120,000 BTU that was original to the house
(1982) and a 3 1/2 ton A/C that was also original to the house
(1982). Since the house was built, there is an additional 300 sf or
so, with a total of almost 3,300 sf of space.

There is a fair amount of work to be done in connection with any
installs, including a lot of venting/piping for the furnace and the
A/C, as well as lining our chimney to handle only the hot water
heater. In addition, we will certainly require some damper
adjustments.

We have been quoted $6,500 for an install of a Carrier 58 MVP 120 and
$6,300 for an install of a Carrier 38 TDB (16 SEER).

These prices seem high, but they are actually lower than pricing we
received on comparable (equivalent?) Bryant equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You need a sanity check

Posted to alt.home.repair
yossarian

I think it seems high too, but it was actually much lower than another
quote I got on the same equipment -- 35% lower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We looked into lining our chimney and it was about a third the cost to
just cap it off and put in an electric water heater, as that was the
only thing left using the old flue. Just fyi.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yossarian

That makes me feel a lot better about this.