Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Goodman GMV95 furnace + install - price quote

An HVAC contractor is quoting me $3,200 on the Goodman GMV95 furnace
(95% efficiency 90K BTU, two-stage burner, variable speed.) The price
includes:

- furnace and all the hardware/parts, etc,
- labor, installation - that includes running two 3" PVC pipes
(exhaust, combstion air intake) to the outside of the house (BTW, he's
running it through the basement wall and putting the outside vent
several inches above ground outside),
- Honewell TH8000 thermostat,
- haul away the old furnace.

Does $3,200 sound reasonable for this job?
This is in the Denver Metro.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

writes:

An HVAC contractor is quoting me $3,200 on the Goodman GMV95 furnace
(95% efficiency 90K BTU, two-stage burner, variable speed.) The price
includes:

- furnace and all the hardware/parts, etc,
- labor, installation - that includes running two 3" PVC pipes
(exhaust, combstion air intake) to the outside of the house (BTW, he's
running it through the basement wall and putting the outside vent
several inches above ground outside),
- Honewell TH8000 thermostat,
- haul away the old furnace.

Does $3,200 sound reasonable for this job?
This is in the Denver Metro.

Yeah, seems reasonable provided they're competent.

But, you should be aware of this little chart before you sign up for a
Goodman, which shows them apparently the least reliable brand in CU's
survey for that year. Then again, teh irony of the fine print saying
that differences of less than 5 points aren't statistically meaningful
is sort of funny considering all appear to be within 5 points of 20
one another. :-)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...view/index.htm

I paid $3824 after deciding on a Bryant (Carrier with less marketing
overhead, best I can tell) 2-stage 94% AFUE, variable speed
80,0000/52,000 unit installed by a company holding the highest Bryant
certification level in the area. That was the quote I selected among
5 companies that came out. I didn't price Goodman though.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

A good friend who is a retired HVAC teacher likes goodman because they
use common off the shelf parts that are easily available and low cost,
rather than high cost spoecial OEM only pieces available from the
furnace manufacturer and no one else

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I can't comment on the Denver area, but in western NY, that would
be a bit high. I'd suggest a couple more quotes.

The couple times I've worked on, or worked with Goodman equipment
it has been basic, straight forward, and reasonable equipment.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
An HVAC contractor is quoting me $3,200 on the Goodman GMV95

furnace
(95% efficiency 90K BTU, two-stage burner, variable speed.) The

price
includes:

- furnace and all the hardware/parts, etc,
- labor, installation - that includes running two 3" PVC pipes
(exhaust, combstion air intake) to the outside of the house

(BTW, he's
running it through the basement wall and putting the outside

vent
several inches above ground outside),
- Honewell TH8000 thermostat,
- haul away the old furnace.

Does $3,200 sound reasonable for this job?
This is in the Denver Metro.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

BTW, I've noticed some Installation Manuals (e.g., Amana, Goodman)
point out that, for return air ducts, "Ductwork must never be attached
to the back of the furnace." (ok to connect to the side.
Any idea why?

Goodman GMV95 furnace + install - price quote [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 1st 07 02:58 PM
furnace goodman toboto Home Repair 2 October 31st 06 11:53 PM
Furnace/Air Conditioner Install - Price Question yossarian Home Repair 5 December 21st 05 08:36 PM
Kentucky Goodman Heat Pump/Gas Furnace install Wildcat Home Repair 2 October 4th 05 12:34 AM
Kentucky Goodman Heat Pump/Gas Furnace install Wildcat Home Repair 0 October 3rd 05 07:03 PM