Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wax-free toilet seals

Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really better
than the usual wax ring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 8:33*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? *Are they really better
than the usual wax ring?

I used one with a rubber collar it went bad in a week and stunk up the
bathroom, the 10 other toilets in the apts we used wax rings and are
fine, Regular Wax rings put in right last and last so why experiment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 6:33*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? *Are they really better
than the usual wax ring?

I used one on my last replacement. I'll never go back to wax again.

Ransley's comment is the first one I have ever heard of that bad-
mouths them.

I suspect it won't be all that long before the wax ones will be used
only on non-standard drain pipes.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:

Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

Yes. I won't use a wax ring again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 11:35*am, Boden wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? *Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

Yes. *I won't use a wax ring again.

Couple of years ago (at least) we had the toilet up for bathroom
renovations and used a foam rubber ring device instead of wax seal;
also recall we had to take it up once to adjust something and then put
toilet back using the same foam rubber ring.
Worked fine ever since.
Used to keep a spare wax seal in the bathroom cupboard but not sure if
I have one there now.
Certainly seems to be the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 19:33:16 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really better
than the usual wax ring?

I used one during a bathroom remodel where I had to take the toilet
out about a dozen times. Worked great.

Made the removal/install a 5 minute job instead of a 1/2 hour to
cleanup wax.

[I don't think mine was Fernco, though it was black rubber.]

I've only had trouble with wax once in my life so I was not inclined
to spend $10 to replace a $1 item- but the ease of removal &
replacement made me try it. I'll probably use it on my other
toilet when/if the time comes.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob M. wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

I don't understand the problem with wax. They have been proven in use
for a really long time. I have never had or seen a failure. And it takes
30 seconds to scrape off the old one if you need to pull the toilet for
some reason (just did it last week in an apartment I own to install new
floor covering).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 6:25*am, George wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? *Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

I don't understand the problem with wax. They have been proven in use
for a really long time. I have never had or seen a failure. And it takes
30 seconds to scrape off the old one if you need to pull the toilet for
some reason (just did it last week in an apartment I own to install new
floor covering).

Technology moves on. That there was nothign wrong....etc does not
mean that something better can't come along.

One advantage to the waxless... You can pull and replace a toilet
without dicking around with the very messy wax seal. They are
reusable.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 10:52*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 13, 6:33*pm, "Bob M." wrote:

Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? *Are they really better
than the usual wax ring?

I used one on my last replacement. *I'll never go back to wax again.

Ransley's comment is the first one I have ever heard of that bad-
mouths them.

I suspect it won't be all that long before the wax ones will be used
only on non-standard drain pipes.

Harry K

Ransley's comment is the first one I have ever heard of that bad-
mouths them.

Please refrain from using the word "mouth" in response to a toilet
related question. I just ate lunch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:25 am, George wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

I don't understand the problem with wax. They have been proven in use
for a really long time. I have never had or seen a failure. And it takes
30 seconds to scrape off the old one if you need to pull the toilet for
some reason (just did it last week in an apartment I own to install new
floor covering).

Technology moves on. That there was nothign wrong....etc does not
mean that something better can't come along.

Agree, but I still don't see the point. I am not a Luddite and have
stuff like in floor radiant heating plumbed with hepex in the house.

One advantage to the waxless... You can pull and replace a toilet
without dicking around with the very messy wax seal. They are
reusable.

Harry K

I don't understand the "very messy" part. Every time I have ever pulled
one it was trivial to remove any residue with a putty knife. It is only
wax after all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 8:29*am, George wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:25 am, George wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
[...]

Well, "very messy" is all relative. I'm not taking sides, just hoping
to help you "understand".

With a wax ring, you have to dispose of the wax and clean your putty
knife. Somewhere along the way you got wax on your hands or some
other surface, which now has to be cleaned. You might have to use a
bag or something to keep the wax and whatever you used to clean the
putty knife from messing up the garbage can. You probably had to find
some newspapers or something to put the toilet on to keep any wax from
getting on the floor. etc. etc.

Measured against not having to deal with any of that, one might
consider that "very messy".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 5:29*am, George wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:25 am, George wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
[...]

Wax with **** on it and the mess of cleaning off the tool afterward.

If 'it works good, why change?" was the criteria, we would still be
driving Model Ts.

Harry K

'Fridge seals Bob Minchin UK diy 6 August 28th 06 10:26 PM
Wax Free Toilet Seals Ben Home Repair 10 May 2nd 05 09:00 PM
Shaft seals Robert Scibienski Metalworking 2 December 15th 04 08:49 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM