Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default wax-free toilet seals

Harry K wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:25 am, George wrote:
Bob M. wrote:
Has anyone used the Fernco wax-free toilet seals? Are they really
better than the usual wax ring?

I don't understand the problem with wax. They have been proven in use
for a really long time. I have never had or seen a failure. And it takes
30 seconds to scrape off the old one if you need to pull the toilet for
some reason (just did it last week in an apartment I own to install new
floor covering).

Technology moves on. That there was nothign wrong....etc does not
mean that something better can't come along.

Agree, but I still don't see the point. I am not a Luddite and have
stuff like in floor radiant heating plumbed with hepex in the house.

One advantage to the waxless... You can pull and replace a toilet
without dicking around with the very messy wax seal. They are
reusable.

Harry K

I don't understand the "very messy" part. Every time I have ever pulled
one it was trivial to remove any residue with a putty knife. It is only
wax after all.