Ben

Default Wax Free Toilet Seals

If I wanted to try the new wax free seals, knowing that the wax ones are
proven technology, does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of the
ones made by Fluidmaster or Fernco:

Fluidmaster:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdf/7500_instructions.pdf

Fernco:
http://www.fernco.com/FTS.html

Supposedly they were all created from this one:
http://www.plumb-bob.com/ultraseals.html

That generated this article:
http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInfo...3745%2C00.html

Thanks for your time in answering,

Ben

Porky

So does the wax ring.

JohnK

George

"donald" wrote in message
I tried the fluidmaster a short while ago and it works flawlessly.

The big question is for how long? I have seen wax rings that have probably
been in service for 50 years with no issues. Why mess with a substitute for
a $2.00 proven easy to use item?

Ben

If I wanted to try the new wax free seals, knowing that the wax ones are
proven technology, does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of
the ones made by Fluidmaster or Fernco:

Thanks for everyone who has responded so far. Progress is only made by
change, and there are issues with wax rings that could be improved upon. I
have new home construction (5 years old) and, due to a leaky wax seal, I
pulled up the toilet to find that the wax seal installed by professional
plumbers only rested against the toilet and not the flange. This is most
likey due to the professionally, and locally plumbing permit passed,
install of a flange that is about 1/4" below the floor. I know I could use
a flange spacer, possibly even a thicker wax ring, but since I have to redo
a wax ring now I am going to research the new technology. If they work, and
the toilet has to be removed for any reason, you don't have to purchase
another seal (unlike with wax).

Again, if anyone has installed experience with the waxless seals I, and
possibly others, would like to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks again,

Ben

larry

After spending an hour cleaning up the wax mess and ring, I opted for
the new "extended" plastic horn and O rings.

A water tight fit at the base of the wc and a water tight fit INTO the
4" waste line. It allows some mis-alignment, and will tolerate a waste
line that in time "drops" below the floor line.

The only problem I had was that the bottom O ring will roll off and fall
in the waste line when you remove the horn. (If you know this, it's
easy to pull the horn up from the bottom with your hand, catching the O
ring) But I was playing with the assembly just to see how everything
fit and if it could be removed. All the pieces "roll" together and
compress as it is installed.

Been in place for a year, and no dampness. Beat the badly leaking wax
ring I replaced.

-larry / dallas

Ben wrote:

Again, if anyone has installed experience with the waxless seals I, and
possibly others, would like to hear the pros and cons.

Thanks again,

Ben

Ben

After spending an hour cleaning up the wax mess and ring, I opted for the
new "extended" plastic horn and O rings.

Which one did you use?
The only problem I had was that the bottom O ring will roll off and fall
in the waste line when you remove the horn. (If you know this, it's

That's a good comment as I see how that could happen. Thanks for the
suggestion!

Bob

Ben wrote:
If I wanted to try the new wax free seals, knowing that the wax ones
are proven technology, does anyone have experience with the pros and
cons of the ones made by Fluidmaster or Fernco:

I've had the Fluidmaster wax free seal for several years, and haven't had
any leaking or seepage from it. I can't remember when I installed it;
possibly in 2001 or 2002.

In the past, I would fight with getting a replacement wax ring to seal; I'd
have to make several trips to the hardware store with buying different
height wax rings to get one to seal and not leak. (Yeah, probably something
I was doing wrong with the install...) Last time, when I had gone through
two different wax rings in desperation I gave the Fluidmaster a try, and it
worked great.

Hope this helps.
Bob.

Ben

If I wanted to try the new wax free seals, knowing that the wax ones are
proven technology, does anyone have experience with the pros and cons of
the ones made by Fluidmaster or Fernco:

Fluidmaster:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdf/7500_instructions.pdf

Fernco:
http://www.fernco.com/FTS.html

Supposedly they were all created from this one:
http://www.plumb-bob.com/ultraseals.html

That generated this article:
http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInfo...3745%2C00.html

Since I now have first hand experience with a waxless seal, I wanted to get
back to everyone who responded to my original questions.

I decided to go with the Fernco model since it went on the toilet first,
which helped me to feel it did securely seal to the toilet. The Fernco
(www.fernco.com/FTS.html) is one piece and also seals as it is forced into
the waste pipe. It definately solved the issue of the flange being below the
floor and, if the seals hold up, would allow the toilet to move without
having to redo the seal (unlike wax).

I did find a larger wax seal that appeared to be thick enough for my area,
but the Fernco was only $3.00 more and its installation was straight forward
without any mess!

I guess only time will tell, but if it holds up I will never use the wax
seals again.

If you have specific questions about my experience with it, please let me
know...

larry

i stopped at home depot yesterday to check, the one i used was a $7
Fluidmaster.

-larry