Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrolux Central Vac

I have been reading various opinions of different brands of central
vacuums on the net, and I don't know if we got a "lemon" or what. We
built a new house about a year and a half ago and had an Electrolux
installed during construction. From the very first, I questioned
whether the suction was strong enough, as i would find cat hair and
"fuzz" on the darker areas of my color block area rug. In addition to
the poor suction, I really had issues with dragging a 30 foot hose
around. We have a timberframe home, with large rooms, and it was
quite a job. Finally in desperation, we purchased a Hoover Wind
Tunnel, and for the last two weeks I have been dumping and dumping and
dumping cat hair and lint, dust, whatever because this Hoover is
picking up SO MUCH MORE than I could ever hope the Electrolux to do.

Everything I have read on the internet tells me that the central
should pick up loads more, with better suction, but I have to say, if
anyone were to ask me, I would say "STICK WITH AN UPRIGHT"!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my central unit doesn't suck?
All in all, I think even if it did work efficiently, I would still
rather drag around a 30 foot electrical cord than a 30 foot heavy
hose.

Thanks for your opinions,

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
[...]

So much depends on the installation itself, the vacuum itself, etc.,
it's impossible to say. One thing I do know is that if the central vac
doesn't use beater bars (just vacuum) it's not an apples to apples
comparison. Beaters will always get a lot more than just vacuum, even
on bare floors with the proper attachments.

Check the installation, vacuum canister & whole assembly for proper
positioning of everything from the bag to filter screens to the piping
having air leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twayne wrote:

Pat wrote:

[...]

Hi,
No beater bar? Ours has motor driven beater bar. We have 3 cats and a
dog. Vacuum does very good job cleaning. Either the unit is under
powered or due to poor installation there may be a air leak some where,
blockage or what ever. My house is ~3000 sqft.2 story. Using 30 ft hose
I can clean every corner from basement to upstairs. New hose is lighter
and crush free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

[...]

I've never used a central vac system. If my vacuum isn't working well,
it is either clogged or has a leak.
Don't know how one would find a leak inside a wall - was the system
tested before the walls were
closed up? Does it have a reverse, to try to clear obstructions? I've
gotten straight pins caught inside the
hose of my beloved ancient Electrolux. Also have had wire in the hose
break and cause clogs in the hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like your central vac does suck, just in the wrong manner. There
are a variety of vacuum canisters made with varying degrees of suction,
there's no practical reason yours shouldn't work well if it was designed
properly. When the installation was done, more inlets should have been
provided, so you wouldn't have to drag a long hose either. I would have a
professional check out the system and find the problem. It could be
something as simple as a broken or leaking fitting

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Pat wrote:

[...]

Some leaks can be heard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 5:34*pm, Pat wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your quick responses. Yes, I have power head, with
the electric running through the hose. We had the system
professionally installed, and I would HOPE that the installer knew
wheat he was doing. Tho these days you never know. We have 3 outlets
downstairs and one upstairs, which covers the whole house, but i still
need to drag the hose from outlet to outlet. I just checked the
canister and it appears that i have model E130G? Any opinions on
that?

Again, thanks.

Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

We've had a central vac for 35 years.
It's a Sears unit, however we have
Nutone/Broan piping and inlets. We have
an electric hose and motor beater bar
unit. Hoses have gotten lighter through
the years. The last hose (they do
eventually wear our) was longer and
lighter than all the previous one.
However, we've just gotten into RVing
and I installed a small central vac in
the motorhome. We bought a super
lightweight hose and a small turbine
powered beater brush. The turbine brush
works good in the motorhome, but can't
stand up to large home use. But, the
hose is great! We are even storing it
in the house over the winter. Of
course, it doesn't have power through
it, but for quick cleanups and floor
cleanup, it works great. Here' s a link
where we got it:
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=144
As for AC powered beater unit, we have
3. One came with the unit, one we
bought and the 3rd unit we acquired.
They all work differently on different
carpets. So, picking the right unit for
the carpet seems to be important,
however, it is mostly a guess. I
suspect different uprights behave
differently on various carpets. I know
the companies would like you to believe
that their brand is best for everything,
but in reality I'm not so sure of that.

As others have said, you should check
the suction. Maybe you have a very
small, unsized unit for your house. I
know that the RV unit that I have, would
not work well in my house. But, with
almost zero piping in the RV, it works
well. It also gets rid of the pet
smell, as it is vented outside .... the
main reason for getting this unit in the
first place.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 5:34 pm, Pat wrote:

Thanks for all your quick responses. Yes, I have power head, with
the electric running through the hose. We had the system
professionally installed, and I would HOPE that the installer knew
wheat he was doing. Tho these days you never know. We have 3 outlets
downstairs and one upstairs, which covers the whole house, but i still
need to drag the hose from outlet to outlet. I just checked the
canister and it appears that i have model E130G? Any opinions on
that?

Again, thanks.

Pat

I would suggest that you contact the installer and tell them what
you are experiencing. They should be willing to come out and check it.
If they say it is OK then I would give Electrolux a call.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

It could be a lousy power head too. Some of the fancy European powerheads
have too short bristles. I had one and it was quiet and beautifully built
but did not have long enuf bristles to do a good job. Ended up with a
windtunnel powerhead and hose connected to my Nutone central vac tank.
Seems to be a good combination.

"Pat" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 5:34 pm, Pat wrote:
[...]

Electrolux ESF 2435 dishwasher Dennis Pedersen Home Repair 0 March 9th 07 10:20 AM
Electrolux Oven John UK diy 4 November 6th 06 09:09 PM
Electrolux central vac question Splash1 Home Repair 1 August 7th 06 09:31 PM
Electrolux Vacuum (Z1379) John UK diy 1 December 13th 03 11:04 PM
URGENT: Electrolux Freezer Help Hiram Hackenbacker UK diy 1 July 17th 03 04:21 AM