Posted to alt.home.repair

Default graco xr7 question

Has anyone used the xr7 in the roller mode? I saw the roller the other day
at HD for $70, and it sure would make painting easier when one cannot spray.
Like I'm considering painting the ceilings white in the addition I just
painted all the same color .......

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I can roll a room faster with a good quality lambs wool roller cover on a
good quality roller frame, a decent extension pole, and a bucket with a
bucket screen, including clean-up - faster than you can set up the roller
attachment paint the room and clean up the roller attachment good enough to
use again.

The roller attachment is also limited by its length/reach where as good
quality extension handle is adjustable.

I had a similar roller attachment years ago when I first started painting.
An old timer hired me to help him on a painting job. He was faster with his
hand rolling than I was with my roller attachment. I never used it again.

cm

"SteveB" wrote in message
Has anyone used the xr7 in the roller mode? I saw the roller the other
day at HD for $70, and it sure would make painting easier when one cannot
spray. Like I'm considering painting the ceilings white in the addition I
just painted all the same color .......

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
Has anyone used the xr7 in the roller mode? I saw the roller the other
day at HD for $70, and it sure would make painting easier when one cannot
spray. Like I'm considering painting the ceilings white in the addition I
just painted all the same color .......

Steve

How old was this old timer? I know he did not teach you everything on
one job.

OP save the $70.00 on a one room paint job.

Would I buy this roller - yes, but for the frequent use of it.

Not for a room or two!
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

The old-timer was in his 50's, I was only 19. He taught me how to roll paint
and what tools to use.
He taught me to use the 100% lambs wool roller cover because they soak up
paint from the bucket faster and release it to the wall better than
synthetic covers. They also clean up easier.
He taught me to always use a roller extension handle. = less bending and
stretching.
He taught me to paint from a bucket with a roller screen not a roller pan.
you don't have to stop as often to fill the bucket with paint as you would
with a pan and the screen rolls off excessive paint more efficiently than a
pan.

Granted I did not gain all my painting speed that day. I did have to learn
better technique. I have never witnessed a pro using a roller attachment and
that alone tells me they are not fast and efficient.

The biggest drawback I see with the roller attachment is most are not long
enough to reach the ceiling without a ladder. If you do get one long enough
for ceilings then it would be too long for hallways and small bathrooms.

cm

"SteveB" wrote in message
Has anyone used the xr7 in the roller mode? I saw the roller the other
day at HD for $70, and it sure would make painting easier when one
cannot
spray. Like I'm considering painting the ceilings white in the addition
just painted all the same color .......

Steve

How old was this old timer? I know he did not teach you everything on
one job.

OP save the $70.00 on a one room paint job.

Would I buy this roller - yes, but for the frequent use of it.

Not for a room or two!
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article E4rej.356970$kj1.36080@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, alt.home.repair,
says...
The old-timer was in his 50's, I was only 19. He taught me how to roll paint
and what tools to use.
He taught me to use the 100% lambs wool roller cover because they soak up
paint from the bucket faster and release it to the wall better than
synthetic covers. They also clean up easier.

Many things have changed in fifty-sixty years. I find modern
rollers pretty easy to clean and hold a lot of paint. They're
*cheap* too. I bought a gadget from Harbor Freight that makes
cleaning rollers a snap (2 minutes, tops). IIRC it's called a
"roller wizard". Google should turn up a link.

He taught me to always use a roller extension handle. = less bending and
stretching.

Absolutely. I bought three Purdy poles that cover anything from
about 1' to 12' comfortably (had a 17' cathedral ceiling). Not
only do poles reduce bending and stretching, they give the painter
more leverage and can be operated with the hands at waste level.
WOrkign with one's hands over one's head gets tiring fast. Buy
good ones, though. Trust me, it's no fun when one breaks in the
middle of a ceiling.

He taught me to paint from a bucket with a roller screen not a roller pan.
you don't have to stop as often to fill the bucket with paint as you would
with a pan and the screen rolls off excessive paint more efficiently than a
pan.

Haven't done that. I'll have to figure that out some time.
Filling the pan has never taken significant time, IMO. Most of the
time is spent edging and trimming. Of course in my last house
masking off the carpet took forever (no base boards).

snip

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:18:28 GMT, "CM"
wrote:

Granted I did not gain all my painting speed that day. I did have to learn
better technique.

I call him Pops. He spent ten years as an apprentice painter and was
taught by and old master.

Worked with a him little and found out just how much I didn't know.

His teachings helped me improve my technique.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Granted I did not gain all my painting speed that day. I did have to learn
better technique.

I call him Pops. He spent ten years as an apprentice painter and was
taught by and old master.

Worked with a him little and found out just how much I didn't know.

His teachings helped me improve my technique.

Oren
--

Or get an 18" roller!