Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrig / freezer repair or replace?

The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. Which option is
recommended: (1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! digger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"digger odell" wrote in message
The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. Which option is
recommended: (1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! digger

I would classify every dollar I have spent on fridge repairs to be money
thrown down the toilet.

YMMV.

I'd be looking at a new one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 29, 7:27*pm, digger odell wrote:
The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. *For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. *Which option is
recommended: *(1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! *digger

Go for DIY, but keep it simple. Clean out all the dust bunnies
underneath, open up the defrost drain, try to monitor the run time to
get a feel for whether the efficiency has gone south. There may be a
marginal circulating fan, etc. Talk to experts at repairclinc.com for
clues on what and where to test. If it turns out that your best option
is a new box, get the Consumer Reports ratings and pick several models
that you like and go look at them. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"krw" wrote in message

I'd be looking at a new one.

I'd tend to agree, but defrost timers, fans, and such are usually
pretty simple repairs. There isn't much repairable in a refer.
Usually when anything more is wrong the thing has just about had it
anyway. His problem *could* be one of these.

--
Keith

If you can DIY any of those problems, it is worth the fix. A service call +
parts can be half the cost of a new modest refrigerator though. It may be
good for another 10 years, but something else can let go next week. Tough
call on a 10 yo machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Also check that it defrosts okay and there is not a buildup of ice.
Sometimes emptying the unit and letting it set open for a few days will
defrost and dry out everything and restore operation but you would need to
check the defrost and drain systems to find out why it iced up to begin
with.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrig / freezer repair or replace / OR CLEAN, ADJUST, or REPLACECOMPONENTS

digger odell wrote:
The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. Which option is
recommended: (1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! digger

1. inspect door gaskets for adequate sealing, replace if needed.
2. ensure that doors can close completely on their own, adjust as needed.
3. ensure that condenser coils & heat sinks are relatively dust-free
(these are the smallish network of black-colored tubing and wires which
will be warm to the touch, and are essential for efficient cooling of
your fridge's innards), clean as needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 12:00*am, maxodyne wrote:
digger odell wrote:
The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. *For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. *Which option is
recommended: *(1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! *digger

1. inspect door gaskets for adequate sealing, replace if needed.
2. ensure that doors can close completely on their own, adjust as needed.
3. ensure that condenser coils & heat sinks are relatively dust-free
(these are the smallish network of black-colored tubing and wires which
will be warm to the touch, and are essential for efficient cooling of
your fridge's innards), clean as needed.

Try manually defrosting it, ie move the food out and let it warm up.
It's possible the heating system for the self defrost has failed and
is packed with ice, preventing proper air movement. If it works again
for a couple months, that gives you an idea of what the problem is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 05:59:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 30, 12:00Â*am, maxodyne wrote:
digger odell wrote:
The bottom freezer section of my 10 year old Amana BX20S5 refrigerator
appears to be nearing the end of its ropes. Â*For example, even though
it can freeze ice cubes O.K. with the thermostat set on coldest, the
ice cream looks more like vanilla pudding. Â*Which option is
recommended: Â*(1) try replacing all gaskets; (2) buy a new
refrigerator; (3) have a commercial repair; (4) try DIY repair?
THANKS! Â*digger

1. inspect door gaskets for adequate sealing, replace if needed.
2. ensure that doors can close completely on their own, adjust as needed.
3. ensure that condenser coils & heat sinks are relatively dust-free
(these are the smallish network of black-colored tubing and wires which
will be warm to the touch, and are essential for efficient cooling of
your fridge's innards), clean as needed.

Try manually defrosting it, ie move the food out and let it warm up.
It's possible the heating system for the self defrost has failed and
is packed with ice, preventing proper air movement. If it works again
for a couple months, that gives you an idea of what the problem is.

Amen. Its winter now. If its cold enough outside use it to keep your
fridge stuff cold. Leave all the doors of your fridge open and the
fridge switched off for two or three days to defrost the firdge
throughly.

Your fridge compressor works. The problem is certain parts don't get
cold enough. It is likely simple air circulation blockage by ice or
perhaps sensor misreading due to permanent ice. I undid the sheet
metal panels in my freezer compartment. There was a solid wall of ice
that formed around the lower freezer coils. Thawed that and my 30
year old fridge works fine now. I don't see any manual defrost button
on my fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

digger odell wrote:

[...]

I've lived for so long with frost-free refrigerators that I completely
forgot about the problems caused by freezer ice buildup.

Good reply, good post, thanks!