Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Freezer repair?

Frigidaire Freezer MFU14M2GW1 1999 model.

This freezer was left by the previous owner and has worked perfectly;
until today. After some reading I think I can fix it for less than
fifty dollars.

I found the controller/starter (?) was burnt badly after removing it.
Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/210829.JPG

The capacitor looks like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/198659.JPG

Would the burnt controller damage the capacitor? I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Frigidaire Freezer MFU14M2GW1 1999 model.

This freezer was left by the previous owner and has worked perfectly;
until today. After some reading I think I can fix it for less than
fifty dollars.

I found the controller/starter (?) was burnt badly after removing it.
Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/210829.JPG

The capacitor looks like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/198659.JPG

Would the burnt controller damage the capacitor? I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Thanks.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

With respect, Oren, if you don't know how to discharge a capacitor, you
don't know how to test one, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:19:08 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Oren wrote:

Frigidaire Freezer MFU14M2GW1 1999 model.

This freezer was left by the previous owner and has worked perfectly;
until today. After some reading I think I can fix it for less than
fifty dollars.

I found the controller/starter (?) was burnt badly after removing it.
Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/210829.JPG

The capacitor looks like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/198659.JPG

Would the burnt controller damage the capacitor? I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Thanks.

--
Oren

With respect, Oren, if you don't know how to discharge a capacitor, you
don't know how to test one, either.

I appreciate that! Until this morning I would not have even ask such
a question. I'm being cautious about the capacitor (as I've read
today).

I'm not completely stupid )

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Oren wrote:

snip

I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Connect a shorting wire from one terminal to the other (cautiously).
Capacitors operating in AC environments don't build up nasty charges
like DC units, but testing must nonetheless be done with zero voltage
differential. Do some research on capacitor testing before proceeding.
It's actually pretty straightforward common sense stuff. HTH

joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:07 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:19:08 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
Oren wrote:

[...]

Its obvious that your not stupid, but much uneducated in some things
and elecrical appears to be one of them. Just remember this:
'ELECTRICTY IS VERY UNFORGIVING. IT WILL KILL YOU IN A NANO SECOND.
So when dealing with it know first what your doing before you do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:22:55 -0700, Jack
wrote:

Its obvious that your not stupid, but much uneducated in some things
and elecrical appears to be one of them. Just remember this:
'ELECTRICTY IS VERY UNFORGIVING. IT WILL KILL YOU IN A NANO SECOND.
So when dealing with it know first what your doing before you do it.

Boo. You're dead.

There are lots of Mexicans (capacitor origin), Chinese and other
offshore manufacturers who handle manufacturing of high volatge high
equipment, test, service and repair them. Many don't know one end of
a battery from the other, just like you. Do you see many with smoking
hair after their shift? Or a death by accident on the jobsite? No.
Unless you have a very bad heart or some hairy medical condition
getting zapped even by a 20KV TV transformer shock is an unpleasant
experience but hardly a hospitalization incident. Only a strong
current is dangerous. I have survived a 240 Vac bare wire experience
as a kid who didn't know better. I was more embarassed than
worried. Trade electricians get zapped all the time as an unavoidable
job hazard. Its not an insurance penalty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in news:1193008647.006978.228670
@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Oren wrote:

snip

I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Connect a shorting wire from one terminal to the other (cautiously).
Capacitors operating in AC environments don't build up nasty charges
like DC units, but testing must nonetheless be done with zero voltage
differential. Do some research on capacitor testing before proceeding.
It's actually pretty straightforward common sense stuff. HTH

joe

Put a hot dog across the terminals. Heck, you can cook a hot dog by
putting test leads in each end of it then plug into AC. Should handle a
cap huh?!

--
Red...

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

http://www.RedGreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu
http://www.RedGreen.com/files/layout...rg_gal_028.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/about.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Frigidaire Freezer MFU14M2GW1 1999 model.

This freezer was left by the previous owner and has worked perfectly;
until today. After some reading I think I can fix it for less than
fifty dollars.

I found the controller/starter (?) was burnt badly after removing it.
Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/210829.JPG

The capacitor looks like this one.

http://www.appliancepartsworldwide.c...cts/198659.JPG

Would the burnt controller damage the capacitor? I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

To discharge the capacitor you can just put a metal screwdriver across the
terminals holding onto the handle of the screwdriver. As pointed out
usually the AC capacitors don't hold a charge, or much of one.

A quick check of them is to take them out of the circuit and connect one of
the older analog multimeters to it. Set the ohm meter to a high range. The
meter should go toward the zero ohm mark and drift back to a very high value
showing an almost open circuit. If the meter stays at or near the zero ohms
the capacitor is shorted and bad. If the meter does not move toward the
zero ohms, it may be open and bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

:

On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Oren wrote:

snip

I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Connect a shorting wire from one terminal to the other (cautiously).
Capacitors operating in AC environments don't build up nasty charges
like DC units, but testing must nonetheless be done with zero voltage
differential. Do some research on capacitor testing before proceeding.
It's actually pretty straightforward common sense stuff. HTH

joe

Put a hot dog across the terminals. Heck, you can cook a hot dog by
putting test leads in each end of it then plug into AC. Should handle a
cap huh?!

Sounds like a stinger!

"STINGER: A (An emersion heater); A device consisting of an
electrical cord and a coil of metal that when plugged into a wall
socket, and emerged in water, will bring the water to a boil."

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:17:27 -0700, Joe wrote:

On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Oren wrote:

snip

I found some info
stating the capacitor needs to be discharged to test it for
continuity. Any "easy" ways to discharge it?

Connect a shorting wire from one terminal to the other (cautiously).

A screwdriver would short the capacitor, but will this damage it
(cap), because of the arc? I'm not worried so much about the
screwdriver

Capacitors operating in AC environments don't build up nasty charges
like DC units, but testing must nonetheless be done with zero voltage
differential. Do some research on capacitor testing before proceeding.
It's actually pretty straightforward common sense stuff. HTH

joe

I already have the parts off and ready to replace. I may not need a
cap, I just don't know if the burnt controller/starter may have
damaged the capacitor....

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Jack wrote:

'ELECTRICTY IS VERY UNFORGIVING. IT WILL KILL YOU IN A NANO SECOND.

Don't be silly. Electricity travels less than a foot in a nanosecond.
Touch a hot wire with your finger, and the shock won't even make it to
your elbow that fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

not stupid, but much uneducated in some things
and elecrical appears to be one of them.

I used too call a co-worker and still laugh today. He would ask me
"what did you burn up?" (he knew me well "Oh,. the wiring harness!
It smoked under the dash".

Too your point! Yes I ask for advice!

(I mean help me out, I have no HS Diploma; nor GED, but retired at 50)

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frigidaire Freezer repair? ...UPDATE..

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:07:20 -0700, Oren wrote:

With respect, Oren, if you don't know how to discharge a capacitor, you
don't know how to test one, either.

I appreciate that! Until this morning I would not have even ask such
a question. I'm being cautious about the capacitor (as I've read
today).

The freezer is repaired. Up and running with the great help of the
counter person. While across town I picked up a new cap and relay.

The freezer was detailed and cleaned today. We can return the food we
saved.

I was glad we were here; smelling the smoke from the burnt relay...

Glad I was not on vacation (G).

Freezer drawer repair jkn UK diy 22 February 18th 18 10:42 PM
Freezer repair (pop noise!) Part timer UK diy 14 April 8th 07 03:29 AM
Frigidaire Side-by-side freezer/refrigerator not cooling RioRanchoMan Home Repair 3 November 6th 06 03:33 PM
Fridge freezer repair book information Martin UK diy 2 May 1st 06 04:59 PM
Frigidaire refrigerator repair Nick Wise Home Repair 1 March 15th 05 03:23 AM