Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to troubleshoot phone problems

Dear Forum,

Yesterday, I was trying to troubleshoot my downstairs phone. My
upstairs phone works fine.

Downstairs, the phone line is in rather poor shape. The phone line
connects to a socket whose screws are corroded. When I jiggled the
socket, I got a tone. However, a few moment later, the downstairs
phone would not give me a tone. More surprising, the upstairs phone
would not give me a tone either. I had to wait about 10 minutes before
getting a tone upstairs.

Does anybody know what could have happenned?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ms-277412-.htm
:
wrote:

Dear Forum,

Yesterday, I was trying to troubleshoot my downstairs phone. My
upstairs phone works fine.

Downstairs, the phone line is in rather poor shape. The phone line
connects to a socket whose screws are corroded. When I jiggled the
socket, I got a tone. However, a few moment later, the downstairs
phone would not give me a tone. More surprising, the upstairs phone
would not give me a tone either. I had to wait about 10 minutes before
getting a tone upstairs.

Does anybody know what could have happenned?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Have the downstairs jack replaced. If it's corroded, it's its time to go.
Apparently, the upstairs jack is daisy-chained off of the downstairs one,
so you need this one operational for both phones. It's easier if you
purchase exact same jack or if you can't get the same, just make sure you
are connecting to the same pair of screw terminals that the red and green
wires are connected to (assuming the standard color code is used, could
also be white/blue-blue wires instead)
Good luck.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Dec 2007 18:14:41 GMT, (DA)
wrote:

Apparently, the upstairs jack is daisy-chained off of the downstairs one,
so you need this one operational for both phones.

More likely the downstairs phone was sensed as "off-hook" then
disabled by the automatic phone exchange and reset.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 3:01�pm, PaPaPeng wrote:
On 27 Dec 2007 18:14:41 GMT, (DA)
wrote:

Apparently, the upstairs jack is daisy-chained off of the downstairs one,
so you need this one operational for both phones.

More likely the downstairs phone was sensed as "off-hook" then
disabled by the automatic phone exchange and reset.

If you have a NID network interface device you can unplug house so you
dont get shocked while working on jacks. its not dangerous but
unpleasant........

in a emergency you can plug a 25 foot phone extension into the NID run
the wire indoors and connect to phone so you have service
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Dear Forum,

Yesterday, I was trying to troubleshoot my downstairs phone. My
upstairs phone works fine.

Downstairs, the phone line is in rather poor shape. The phone line
connects to a socket whose screws are corroded. When I jiggled the
socket, I got a tone. However, a few moment later, the downstairs
phone would not give me a tone. More surprising, the upstairs phone
would not give me a tone either. I had to wait about 10 minutes before
getting a tone upstairs.

Does anybody know what could have happenned?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Do what Jim Redelfs said. And one more thing: Fix one phone location at a
time. Since the downstairs installation needs a new plate anyway, disconnect
all the wires, tape the ends, and work on the upstairs phone until it's OK.
Then, unplug that phone, and work on the downstairs phone. Isolate them from
one another, in other words.

RCA TV Troubleshoot [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 November 24th 06 03:03 AM
phone line problems lupine Home Repair 7 September 30th 06 06:45 AM
Weird phone problems Jethro_uk UK diy 14 May 10th 05 04:28 PM
Sanyo cordless phone CLT-2430: Talk button problems Sylvain Gregoire Electronics Repair 8 September 28th 03 03:41 PM
Need Some Advice on phone line Problems [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 30th 03 10:33 PM