Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Trying to troubleshoot phone problems

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ms-277412-.htm
:
wrote:

Dear Forum,

Yesterday, I was trying to troubleshoot my downstairs phone. My
upstairs phone works fine.

Downstairs, the phone line is in rather poor shape. The phone line
connects to a socket whose screws are corroded. When I jiggled the
socket, I got a tone. However, a few moment later, the downstairs
phone would not give me a tone. More surprising, the upstairs phone
would not give me a tone either. I had to wait about 10 minutes before
getting a tone upstairs.

Does anybody know what could have happenned?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Have the downstairs jack replaced. If it's corroded, it's its time to go.
Apparently, the upstairs jack is daisy-chained off of the downstairs one,
so you need this one operational for both phones. It's easier if you
purchase exact same jack or if you can't get the same, just make sure you
are connecting to the same pair of screw terminals that the red and green
wires are connected to (assuming the standard color code is used, could
also be white/blue-blue wires instead)
Good luck.

\//.

Delivered via