Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge filter question

"SteveB" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore (discovered it was made by Frigidaire when I googled Model
#). The red light came on for filter, and the water comes out slower.

When you open up the fridge door, it's on the upper right. You press a
triangular tab on the corner, and the filter apparently comes out. Two
tubes in the back with O-rings, shown in the picture. So, apparently, to
change the filter, you hit the triangular tab, the filter either pops out
or you pull it out and slide in the new one.

My question: do you have to shut off the water? I read several sites,
and they had some info, but not that.

In my handyman business, I change the filters on several different brands
and never have had to turn off the water. They all shut off the flow as
soon as the filter is removed. No guarantees, but I'd be willing to bet
that yours works the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:44:57 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I have a Kenmore (discovered it was made by Frigidaire when I googled Model
#). The red light came on for filter, and the water comes out slower.

When you open up the fridge door, it's on the upper right. You press a
triangular tab on the corner, and the filter apparently comes out. Two
tubes in the back with O-rings, shown in the picture. So, apparently, to
change the filter, you hit the triangular tab, the filter either pops out or
you pull it out and slide in the new one.

My question: do you have to shut off the water? I read several sites, and
they had some info, but not that.

Steve

A service man once; and later SWMBO. had occasion to change filters in
the fridge here.

Not once was the water turned off...YMMV

I'm in charge of water turn off, so it would have been brought to my
attention - I hope
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Streets" wrote in message
. ..
"SteveB" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore (discovered it was made by Frigidaire when I googled
Model #). The red light came on for filter, and the water comes out
slower.

When you open up the fridge door, it's on the upper right. You press a
triangular tab on the corner, and the filter apparently comes out. Two
tubes in the back with O-rings, shown in the picture. So, apparently, to
change the filter, you hit the triangular tab, the filter either pops out
or you pull it out and slide in the new one.

My question: do you have to shut off the water? I read several sites,
and they had some info, but not that.

In my handyman business, I change the filters on several different brands
and never have had to turn off the water. They all shut off the flow as
soon as the filter is removed. No guarantees, but I'd be willing to bet
that yours works the same.

I was tending to think the same, too. The filter was sticking out about
1/8" from flush. I popped it, and it locked in. The water started flowing
from the door dispenser on the first try. Reset the red light, and it's
working fine now, although a little slow. I know it's been more than six
months since a change, so will change it just in case. After that, I'm not
sure if that change every six months is realistic or they're trying to sell
filters. Perhaps you could advise?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm a virgin in this phase of experiences. My first time. Be gentle.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Filter life should depend primarily on the quality of the input water
and the volume of water processed. Time should have little to nothing to
do with it. If you use a lot of ice from the ice maker and water from
the dispenser it will need replacement sooner than if you use little.
Since the filter doesn't allow visual inspection it's difficult to
determine when it really needs changing though. Think of that six month
figure as appropriate for the usage an "average" family would give it
and then try to decide which side of "average" you fall on. For my part,
being single and giving the ice and water from the fridge relatively
minimal use, I reset the light and let it go a second period before
changing the filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I know it's been more than six months since a change, so will change it
just in case. After that, I'm not sure if that change every six months is
realistic or they're trying to sell filters. Perhaps you could advise?

The time to change depends on the quality of water you have. I'd be happy
to get four months from a filter. I use an in-line filter on the feed to the
fridge and that is after the whole house sediment filter. OTOH, do you want
that gunk that filter trapped to linger for that long?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:43:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm a virgin in this phase of experiences. My first time. Be gentle.

Get the microns right and the filter/size. It should slip in!

(G)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 21:10:39 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm a virgin in this phase of experiences. My first time. Be gentle.

Get the microns right and the filter/size. It should slip in!

(G)

Googled all that. Just not sure about the water. Now, I'm pretty sure it's
a pop out pop in install. Hope Home Depot has them.

Steve

You must have water; better in UT? ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Googled all that. Just not sure about the water. Now, I'm pretty sure it's
a pop out pop in install. Hope Home Depot has them.

Call Hanson's Water, Las Vegas
http://www.hansonwater.com/contact.html

They have a real answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I know it's been more than six months since a change, so will change it
just in case. After that, I'm not sure if that change every six months
is realistic or they're trying to sell filters. Perhaps you could
advise?

The time to change depends on the quality of water you have. I'd be happy
to get four months from a filter. I use an in-line filter on the feed to
the fridge and that is after the whole house sediment filter. OTOH, do
you want that gunk that filter trapped to linger for that long?

Good point. This spring, there will be some work to be done on some water
lines around here. At that time, I will install an inline to the house. I
think I'm going to put a new filter on there right now just out of general
principles.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

We have those at the LV houses, and had one put in when we moved in here
in Utah. Still need to put a filter in the main line, though. We live at
the end of the line in the country, and I'm sure the water isn't that
great. Probably should have it tested.

End of the line sucks. Our water improved after two more houses were built
over they years.