Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewage pump question

I am helping a friend fix up his detatched garage and we want to put in
a toilet. It is on a slab, so will build a raised floor just high enough
for the pipe to elbow out thru the back wall of he garage. If I can put
a sewage pump outside right there, the pump discharge line will run
about 30' , make a 45, then about another 20', then up about 3' into a
sewer connection. All of that line will be pretty much horizontal. FWIW,
it is probably not going to get a lot of use, but will be one of those
things that when it is needed, will be worth a fortune. I called
Northern, and they say they have a pump setup ready to go ( pump,
reservoir, float switch, check valve etc) for about $250, though I have
not had a chance to go by and look at it. Any comments/suggestions. We
first thought of doing a mini septic system for the toilet, but this way
seems easier and probably better, and worth the money for the pump. It
is in a semi rural area, so no codes/inspections, just want something
that works. Thanks Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/21/2007 10:21 AM lp13-30 said the following:
[...]

Does he get freezing cold winters? Is it a heated garage?
If the former and not the latter, water in the toilet trap may freeze
and crack the toilet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply. I thought about that after I posted. This is near
Corpus Christi, Tx, so freezing is not a big concern. Thanks Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:
[...]

The length of the laterals is not nearly as important as the total lift.
Make sure the pump is rated for the lift you need.

Depending on your situation, you might want to check into getting an
overflow alarm system with the tank. If possible, the alarm should be
plugged into a different breaker than the one the pump is on and/or have
battery backup.

FYI - Most of these pumps use 2" pipes on the discharge.
Also the tank should have a vent pipe.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

Why go thru all that trouble? Use a Saniflow. They kick ass!
http://www.saniflo.com/macerating_to...0cHgodh xt7Gg

Posted to alt.home.repair

dont forget doing a good job or at home resale time YUK home
inspectors love unusual stuff like this..........

it justifys their fees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. I wll look into Saniflow, but it looks like it
is probably out of their league budgetwise. The 2" line will be nearly
horizontal for probably 50 something feet, and the go verically about 3,
so lift on the pump should not be a problem. As Hallerb mentioned about
home inspection/resale, the house is a POS that is right on the
borderline between better to bulldoze or fix up. The plan is to fix part
of the very large and much newer garage into a small efficiency type
apt, that they can stay in and fix the house up gradually, as time and
especially money permit. They have only had the place about 1 1/2
years--the garage was already there. I do not know what they paid for
it, but they mainly bought it for the property. Thanks again Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 21, 9:21*am, (lp13-30) wrote:
I am helping a friend fix up his detatched garage and we want to put in
a toilet.

A worthwhile idea.

It is in a semi rural area, so no codes/inspections, just want something
that works.

If you're not a complete stuffed shirt, *dig a hole just outside 2' x
4' x 6' deep. Install a suitable structure over it with a built in
seat with tidy covered 14" oval hole. Put in a nice reading rack and
cut a neat crescent moon shaped vent in the door. Plan to move it a
few feet left or right every five years or so and don't omit the fly
swatter. Total cost under $30. And your carbon foot print is near
zero. G

Joe