Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Sewage pump question

on 12/21/2007 10:21 AM lp13-30 said the following:
I am helping a friend fix up his detatched garage and we want to put in
a toilet. It is on a slab, so will build a raised floor just high enough
for the pipe to elbow out thru the back wall of he garage. If I can put
a sewage pump outside right there, the pump discharge line will run
about 30' , make a 45, then about another 20', then up about 3' into a
sewer connection. All of that line will be pretty much horizontal. FWIW,
it is probably not going to get a lot of use, but will be one of those
things that when it is needed, will be worth a fortune. I called
Northern, and they say they have a pump setup ready to go ( pump,
reservoir, float switch, check valve etc) for about $250, though I have
not had a chance to go by and look at it. Any comments/suggestions. We
first thought of doing a mini septic system for the toilet, but this way
seems easier and probably better, and worth the money for the pump. It
is in a semi rural area, so no codes/inspections, just want something
that works. Thanks Larry

Does he get freezing cold winters? Is it a heated garage?
If the former and not the latter, water in the toilet trap may freeze
and crack the toilet.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY