Posted to alt.home.repair

Default liftmaster lightning suppressor kit

Has anybody installed a MOV lightning suppressor kit on their garage
door opener? I bought one and the instructions appear to be wrriten by
someone on drugs. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Has anybody installed a MOV lightning suppressor kit on their garage
door opener? I bought one and the instructions appear to be wrriten by
someone on drugs. Any help would be appreciated.

I got referred to a job once where the garage door openers got hit a few
times from lightning. The owners were told that they needed a surge
suppressor. I went over to take a look. They already had a surge suppressor
on their main panel. The house had no ground connection. The original
electricians connected the grounding electrode conductor to the main water
line from the well which was plastic and changed to copper upon entering the
basement. The connection at the ground rod was not installed properly and
was loose. I surmised that the garage door openers were getting hit because
of the metal tracks of the garage doors being in contact with the concrete
floor. I drove two new ground rods and haven't heard any more complaints
about lightning.

I suggest that you take your MOV kit back to where you bought it and make
sure that you have a good grounding electrode system for your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 5:59*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:

[...]

What kit, what instructions, what trollin it is..
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.aaaremotes.com/movlisusukit1.html

(MOV - Metal Oxide Varistor)

To protect the safety sensors and logic boards from electrical storms
and power surges.
Use before a lightning strike, electric storm or power surge occurs.
Will decrease that chances of power surge or lightning strike shorting
the receiver logic board for Chamberlain Liftmaster machines.
Wiring Instructions:
Attach MOV wires directly to motor unit terminals 2 & 3 (white &
black) located on the receiver logic board. Note: Units with quick
connect terminals, both bell wires must be twisted or connected
together and reinserted using only one hole leaving the second hole
for MOV wire.

Route green ground wire to the chassis top. Attach wire to chassis
with the self threading screw, using the existing hold as illustrated.
Note: Screw drive units with side access dor, attach to the chassis
hanging brackets with hardware provided.
Note: - This product will not protect receiver logic board or safety
sensors from nearby electric storms or lightning strikes, but from
power surges caused by those elements.

What kit, what instructions, what trollin it is..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Looks like a kit an individual assembled to sell - no manufacturer name.

If MOVs get hit with enough energy they fail. When they fail they start
conducting at normal voltages and go into thermal runaway. UL listed
devices are required to have protection that disconnects overheating
MOVs. This kit doesn't. And no ratings. I wouldn't use it.

There are listed suppressor outlets or plug-in suppressors. If using one
the control wiring should be kept away from ground.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 9:16*am, bud-- wrote:
wrote:
[...]

bud--- Hide quoted text -

What's the problem with the directions? They seem clear to me.

As others have said, I'd suggest investing in a whole house panel type
surge protector, rather than this add-on device. I've never done
anything special to any of the garage door openers at any places I've
lived and never had any problems attributable to surges. And like
bud, I doubt this kit would be coming from the manufacturer.