Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default liftmaster lightning suppressor kit

On Dec 20, 5:59*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Has anybody installed a MOV lightning suppressor kit on their garage
door opener? I bought one and the instructions appear to be wrriten by
someone on drugs. *Any help would be appreciated.

I got referred to a job once where the garage door openers got hit a few
times from lightning. *The owners were told that they needed a surge
suppressor. *I went over to take a look. They already had a surge suppressor
on their main panel. *The house had no ground connection. *The original
electricians connected the grounding electrode conductor to the main water
line from the well which was plastic and changed to copper upon entering the
basement. *The connection at the ground rod was not installed properly and
was loose. *I surmised that the garage door openers were getting hit because
of the metal tracks of the garage doors being in contact with the concrete
floor. *I drove two new ground rods and haven't heard any more complaints
about lightning.

I suggest that you take your MOV kit back to where you bought it and make
sure that you have a good grounding electrode system for your house.

What kit, what instructions, what trollin it is..