Posted to alt.home.repair

Default liftmaster lightning suppressor kit

wrote in message
Has anybody installed a MOV lightning suppressor kit on their garage
door opener? I bought one and the instructions appear to be wrriten by
someone on drugs. Any help would be appreciated.

I got referred to a job once where the garage door openers got hit a few
times from lightning. The owners were told that they needed a surge
suppressor. I went over to take a look. They already had a surge suppressor
on their main panel. The house had no ground connection. The original
electricians connected the grounding electrode conductor to the main water
line from the well which was plastic and changed to copper upon entering the
basement. The connection at the ground rod was not installed properly and
was loose. I surmised that the garage door openers were getting hit because
of the metal tracks of the garage doors being in contact with the concrete
floor. I drove two new ground rods and haven't heard any more complaints
about lightning.

I suggest that you take your MOV kit back to where you bought it and make
sure that you have a good grounding electrode system for your house.