Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I empty the bathtub?

I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

Interesting question. Yes, it will contribute a bit of both. Weigh that
against having dirty water sit and settle in the tub making cleaning more
difficult though. I think gains will be minimal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:52:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I wouldn't want to clean your tub! There are better ways to increase
humidity (plants, pebble trays, cooking pasta/soup, indoor clothes
line, etc).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water
evaporate all over the home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kbalz" wrote in message
On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water
evaporate all over the home.

He never said anything about bathing in the same water again. If you
disagree, please point out where you think he said that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 1:07 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Kbalz" wrote in message

On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water
evaporate all over the home.

He never said anything about bathing in the same water again. If you
disagree, please point out where you think he said that.

Do not empty the bathtub for a while and it will help.

www.planorealestateadvisor.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:00:24 -0800 (PST), Kbalz
wrote Re Should I empty the bathtub?:

On Dec 18, 1:59 pm, Kbalz wrote:
On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:

I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water
evaporate all over the home.

*couldn't ever

For an ESL you are doing fairly well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:59:16 -0800 (PST), Kbalz
wrote:

On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

I couldn't never soak in my own filth, let alone let the poo water
evaporate all over the home.

You must be one filthy S.O.B.
If you "poo" in your bathtub, you really need to speak with your
mother and have her potty train you to use the toilet.

"Poo" does not evaporate. It will just sit in your tub until your
mother cleans up the mess you made.

As far as leaving the water in the tub in winter, I have done this for
years. Why waste the heat, and the humidity is helpful.
I never found tub cleaning to be any worse than if I drain it while
water is still hot. There might be a few bits of hair left on the
bottom which easily washes down the drain, and the tub gets it's usual
cleaning with a little tub cleaner. No biggie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
As far as leaving the water in the tub in winter, I have done this for
years. Why waste the heat, and the humidity is helpful.
I never found tub cleaning to be any worse than if I drain it while
water is still hot. There might be a few bits of hair left on the
bottom which easily washes down the drain, and the tub gets it's usual
cleaning with a little tub cleaner. No biggie.

Cleaning it as you finally do empty it may even be easier since the dirt will be
softened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think if I did my math right, if 40 gallons of water start at 100 degrees
and it cools to 70 you saved 13 cents based one therm of gas costing $1.14.

PS I have no idea how much a therm goes for these days.

wrote in message
I live in upstate NY and my house is heated with a furnace. The air in
my house is slightly on the dry side during the winter. When someone
takes a hot bath in the house should the hot water be left in the tub
till it cools down? It seems that if it were then it would contribute
both heat and moisture to the house.
Thanks , Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and
extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more
heat.

I don't have the link now but if its worth selling a system I think
leaving the water in the tub is a great idea! With my crackling dry
hands I could use the little extra humidity myself.
cln
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cln" wrote in message
I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and
extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more
heat.

I don't have the link now but if its worth selling a system I think
leaving the water in the tub is a great idea! With my crackling dry
hands I could use the little extra humidity myself.

The device you mention needs flowing input water at the same time as the warm
water exits. It thus will work well for showers, but not baths.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 7:46 pm, "Cliff Hartle" wrote:
I think if I did my math right, if 40 gallons of water start at 100 degrees
and it cools to 70 you saved 13 cents based one therm of gas costing $1.14.

PS I have no idea how much a therm goes for these days.

I did a similar set of calcs & came up with something in the 15 to 20
cent range

so the total benefit depends on how often the OP uses the tub.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:
I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and
extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more
heat.

I don't have the link now but if its worth selling a system I think
leaving the water in the tub is a great idea! With my crackling dry
hands I could use the little extra humidity myself.
cln

Hmmm,
My gosh! Install a power humidifier and get it over with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Dec 18, 10:52 am, " wrote:
[...]

Poo water doesn't physically mean I dropped a duece in it.. Its just
slang for nasty water.. get with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 7:52*am, cln wrote:
I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and
extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more
heat.

Of course, the water coming out of the shower will be colder, and if
you want the same temp coming out, you'll use more hot water. There
is no free lunch!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
On Dec 19, 7:52 am, cln wrote:
I've seen a system lately that will wrap around your drain pipe and
extract the heat for drain water (shower or tub) and converted to more
heat.

Of course, the water coming out of the shower will be colder, and if
you want the same temp coming out, you'll use more hot water. There
is no free lunch!

If you understood the device he talks about, you'd know otherwise.