Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Don't Empty Your Pool! Don't Do What I Did!

As a first time pool-owner I learned a lesson the hard way

I couldn't believe that for lack of a little bit of helpful
information ahead-of-time so much damage to my pool could be done when
simply trying to clean it -- I've setup a free, public forum in the
hopes that we might be able to share stories and learn from each
other's mistakes http://DontDoWhatIDid.info

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
As a first time pool-owner I learned a lesson the hard way

I couldn't believe that for lack of a little bit of helpful
information ahead-of-time so much damage to my pool could be done when
simply trying to clean it -- I've setup a free, public forum in the
hopes that we might be able to share stories and learn from each
other's mistakes
http://DontDoWhatIDid.info

David

You'll have to find another way to get popular I'm afraid; that's not going
to work. All you're doing is making it public that your'e too lazy to read
the manuals and/or do a tad of research about the things you own. All I can
say is, ignorance is bliss, and I mean that in the WEbster's sense, not as a
direct insult. It IS bad though when the igrnorance is intentional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:51 pm, "Pop`" wrote:
wrote:
As a first time pool-owner I learned a lesson the hard way

I couldn't believe that for lack of a little bit of helpful
information ahead-of-time so much damage to my pool could be done when
simply trying to clean it -- I've setup a free, public forum in the
hopes that we might be able to share stories and learn from each
other's mistakes http://DontDoWhatIDid.info

David

You'll have to find another way to get popular I'm afraid; that's not going
to work. All you're doing is making it public that your'e too lazy to read
the manuals and/or do a tad of research about the things you own. All I can
say is, ignorance is bliss, and I mean that in the WEbster's sense, not as a
direct insult. It IS bad though when the igrnorance is intentional.

I'm sorry you felt the need to jump straight to this conclusion, i'm
not sure why it is a bit "guilty until proven innocent"

Firstly the website was a sincere attempt to share info not an attempt
to "get popular"

Secondly I was anything but lazy and don't appreciate your comments

I went to not only one but two local pool stores and explained that I
was a first time pool owner and that I was going to drain and clean my
pool and neither said anything to me

Also -- I did not buy the pool myself rather purchased a home that
already had the pool so did not have the manuals that you felt I was
too lazy to read

The only thing I *did* receive from the previous owner was a document
from the liner manufacturer entitled "Important Above Ground Liner
Warranty and Safety Information Inside!" and I did actually read it
thank you very much... it even had 10 steps entitled "Recommendations
for care of vinyl lined pools" and NOT ONE OF THEM even remotely
mentioned anything about a warning about emptying a pool and the liner
shrinking... The company name on the liner documentation is TRIAC
Industries Inc.

You implied that only a "tad of research" was needed -- have you
actually Googled for relevant keywords?

I actually did and got results like these:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2332_empty-swimming-pool.html

(notice no mention of shrinking)

only if I knew ahead of time to add the keyword "shrink" to my search
would I have found better results, but of course if I knew about
shrinking before-hand this whole issue would be moot

If you feel that setting up a free website to share information isn't
a good way to share information than simply state so and that would be
valid and helpful feedback -- to add all the negative assumptions only
adds unhelpful commentary

you were quick to assume things, some might even call that ignorance

Since you seem to like dictionary words, here's one:
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...ery=prejudiced

Posted to alt.home.repair

Inline:

wrote:
On Jun 17, 7:51 pm, "Pop`" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The web site is myopic and contains misinformation, for one thing. You are
stating as fact some things that you must not know to be facts from your
wording. There, that'll drive some traffic to it.

Secondly I was anything but lazy and don't appreciate your comments

Yes, you were. Read on. Well, perhaps ignorant is a better term, but ...
either way.

I went to not only one but two local pool stores and explained that I
was a first time pool owner and that I was going to drain and clean my
pool and neither said anything to me

They aren't there to save you from yourself; drain and clean does not mean
empty of water to most familiarir with pools, and if emptied, then it's a
matter of creating the proper vacuum to fit the liner back into place.

Also -- I did not buy the pool myself rather purchased a home that
already had the pool so did not have the manuals that you felt I was
too lazy to read

OK, then you were too lazy to find out about a reasonably expensive item
that you liked and should have done some research on.

The only thing I *did* receive from the previous owner was a document
from the liner manufacturer entitled "Important Above Ground Liner
Warranty and Safety Information Inside!" and I did actually read it
thank you very much... it even had 10 steps entitled "Recommendations
for care of vinyl lined pools" and NOT ONE OF THEM even remotely
mentioned anything about a warning about emptying a pool and the liner
shrinking... The company name on the liner documentation is TRIAC
Industries Inc.

Had you bothered finding out how to install a liner, which is what you
should have done, reinstalled it, you would have figured out quickly that it
was not hard to put the liner back.

You implied that only a "tad of research" was needed -- have you
actually Googled for relevant keywords?

Yes. After reading all the paperwork that came with our new (at the time)
inground pool, and wanting to clafiry/verify the marketing hype and advice
that came with it. When I have a fairly expensive item, I make the effort
to know about it.

I actually did and got results like these:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2332_empty-swimming-pool.html

(notice no mention of shrinking)

Why are you looking at how to EMPTY a pool, and not how to FILL a pool? Or
set the liner? You looked that up before you drained it I'll bet, and then
went no furhter figuring you knew all about it.

only if I knew ahead of time to add the keyword "shrink" to my search
would I have found better results, but of course if I knew about
shrinking before-hand this whole issue would be moot

If you feel that setting up a free website to share information isn't
a good way to share information than simply state so and that would be
valid and helpful feedback -- to add all the negative assumptions only
adds unhelpful commentary

Well, that's all you did; gave negative assumptions and misinformation. You
were partially right, and then failed to follow through. The "problem" with
your web site is, you know nothing about which you speak.

you were quick to assume things, some might even call that ignorance

Since you seem to like dictionary words, here's one:
http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Di...ery=prejudiced

You're right; I have two powerful prejudices. The first is against the
gooks who tried to kill me in 'Nam; I cannot control that one no matter what
I try! The second is against people who won't bother to get their facts
right and then try to portray them to the world as facts when they are only
one person's experience and far from the truth.

You like Google; here's a hit I got in about one second for your lazy ass;
there are lots more there. Still got the old liner? You CAN reinstall it
if you're not too lazy:

http://searchwarp.com/swa61279.htm

Before you spout informaiton on a web site, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
Else, state it all as opinions so newbies can tell what you might be full
of.

Pop`