Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fan mounting question

I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"big e lewis" wrote in message
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

You could just build a shelf up high and sit it on that and accomplish the
same thing and not have to worry about hurting the fan. Just let it have
enough "breathing" room behind it.

--
JC from Gnat Flats

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 1:23 pm, (big e lewis) wrote:
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

I heat with wood and have both a ceiling fan blowing down and a box
fan hanging (verticle) from the hallway ceiling. Noting the operating
characteristics of each...

No, I wouldn't do it. The box fan will blow down far, far more than
will be comfortable. Even on slow speed it will put out a gale on the
floor. I don't see why a standard ceiling fan would be a pain to do
if there is already an overhead light up there.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

big e lewis wrote:
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

Hi,
Is that 15.00 fan big enough to do the job? Air has to move for thw
whole garage not one spot.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 17, 3:23 pm, (big e lewis) wrote:
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

Box fan is a bad idea. There are low cost commercial ceiling fans that
will outlast a dozen box fans. Mounting a ceiling fan of this type is
a simple operation, far less work than mucking about with a box fan
and far more efficient. The last time I bought one it was $30 or so,
probably $40 now. They usually are three bladed with a 52" swing and
come with a nice switch/speed controller.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

big e lewis wrote:
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down.

Put an ordinary fan on the floor and push the cold air up.