Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fan mounting question

On Dec 17, 3:23 pm, (big e lewis) wrote:
I have a 12' ceiling insulated garage, that I will be heating with a
propane heater. Mounting a regular ceiling fan would be a pain, but I
would like to "push" the warm air down. I was thinking of mounting a
standard $15 box fan horizontially, and just plugging into the outlets
for the lights. Would there be a problem mounting this type of fan in
this position, such as bearings or anything? It seems too easy and/or
cheap, so I figure there must be a reason not to that I'm not
seeing..lol. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks, Earl

Box fan is a bad idea. There are low cost commercial ceiling fans that
will outlast a dozen box fans. Mounting a ceiling fan of this type is
a simple operation, far less work than mucking about with a box fan
and far more efficient. The last time I bought one it was $30 or so,
probably $40 now. They usually are three bladed with a 52" swing and
come with a nice switch/speed controller.

Joe