Posted to alt.home.repair

Default do you need one gas tank for each 2-cycle engine tool?

I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do I
need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use the
40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

BTW, all 2-cycle engine oil claim to be smoke-less. Which is the most
smokeless of all?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

peter wrote:
I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do I
need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use the
40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

BTW, all 2-cycle engine oil claim to be smoke-less. Which is the most
smokeless of all?

I wouldn't go lean (on oil) relative to manufacturer's recommendation.
Slightly higher on oil wouldn't be terrible.

I never saw any that I would call "smokeless"...some may be a little
less than others but I've no specific recommendation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:15:25 GMT, "peter" wrote:

I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do I
need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use the
40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

Too lean burns your cylinders, too rich fouls your plugs- and cylinder
walls. I have a gallon of 40-1 & a gallon of 50-1 in my garage.
Those 2 pale in comparison to the 2 5gal blue cans, the 2 2.5 gallon
red cans, and the 5 gallon yellow can.

But if that extra 1 gallon can is going to bother you- these folks say
it is the oil that determines the mix- not the machine. . and
theirs is 100-1.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/faqs/...cle_oil.htm#b1

BTW, all 2-cycle engine oil claim to be smoke-less. Which is the most
smokeless of all?

Electric.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 1:15 pm, "peter" wrote:
I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do I
need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use the
40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

45:1 is close enough to both that it likely wouldn't ever be a
problem.

I always kept 32:1 mix around for dirt bikes and just used that in any
2-stroke power equipment that needed fuel. Now with what I've paid
for my Stihl trimmer, it gets Stihl brand oil mixed like they say. No
exceptions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 5:35 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Too lean burns your cylinders, too rich fouls your plugs- and cylinder
walls.

Too much oil can also burn up an engine. The extra oil displaces
fuel, which leans the air/fuel mix causing heat. Also, 2-stroke oil
burns hot anyways, so the extra oil makes it worse.

- these folks say
it is the oil that determines the mix- not the machine. . and
theirs is 100-1

The oil manufacturer determines how lean it can be mixed and still
properly lubricate an engine. The engine manufacturer decides the
proper mix for the engine. Drastically changing the oil mix (from
32:1 to 100:1 for example) requires recalibrating the carb. Those
people probably make a good oil, but it still gets mixed 40:1 if it
goes in my chainsaw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in message
I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do
I need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use
the 40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

BTW, all 2-cycle engine oil claim to be smoke-less. Which is the most
smokeless of all?

First, check the instructions again. Some are different depending on the
oil. IIRC, Stihl is 50:1 on their oil (probably synthetic) but needs more
oil for the regular stuff. In your case, I'd use 40:1 for everything unless
it makes an exception for better oils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bad news for the stihl. And may void the warranty when it goes in with the
seized piston.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would just go 1:40 for both.

Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
bad news for the stihl. And may void the warranty when it goes in with the
seized piston.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would just go 1:40 for both.

Extra oil will cause it to sieze? How's that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
bad news for the stihl. And may void the warranty when it goes in with the
seized piston.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would just go 1:40 for both.

Extra oil will cause it to sieze? How's that?

Guess I should have read more replies before asking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:

I have a gas leaf blower that requires 40:1 oil:gas mixture. I have a 1
gallon gas tank premixed with this oil gas.

I'm thinking of buying a chainsaw (stihl) which requires 50:1 mixture. Do I
need another gas tank to premix with this ratio, or is it ok to just use the
40:1 mix? Or perhaps I could put 45:1 mix in both??

BTW, all 2-cycle engine oil claim to be smoke-less. Which is the most
smokeless of all?

I run the same mix in all my 2 cycle stuff (Echo and Shindaiwa), not
paying a huge amount of attention to the exact mix and have not had any
problems in a decade of this. If you run a landscaping business putting
10 hours a day on everything it may be more important, but for general
homeowner running a few hours a weekend at most it just doesn't seem to
matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

too much oil makes them run lean. the oil takes up space that would
normally be occupied by gasoline in the mix. a very interesting
demonstration by the stihl people one year at the kansas speedway .
involved a bunch of infared thermometers and little engine dynos and the
like.

"Bob F" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
bad news for the stihl. And may void the warranty when it goes in with
the seized piston.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would just go 1:40 for both.

Extra oil will cause it to sieze? How's that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

"S. Barker" wrote in message
bad news for the stihl. And may void the warranty when it goes in with
the seized piston.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
I would just go 1:40 for both.

Extra oil will cause it to sieze? How's that?- Hide quoted text -

I cannot see how to much oil would make a lean condition , more air
makes a lean condition, oil is not as combustable as gas, to much oil
fouls plugs, plugs foul from rich mixtures. I run 32-1 in everything
but with a good synthetic like Mobil it is reported you can cut the
oil in half, 40-1 is real safe in synthetic. A richer mix will make
for harder starting and many of todays carbs cant be adjusted. I run
my Sthil and everything at 32-1, you just have to try it and see if it
runs ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:11:35 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

too much oil makes them run lean. the oil takes up space that would
normally be occupied by gasoline in the mix. a very interesting
demonstration by the stihl people one year at the kansas speedway .
involved a bunch of infared thermometers and little engine dynos and the
like.

My Toro snowblower needs a 50:1 fuel oil mix and it felt too lean in
my estimation. Like what someone said a bit more oil would seem a
harmless idea. So I used guesswork to do my mixing and inevitably the
oil ratio crept up. I had three seasons of increasingly difficult
starts and difficulty to keep running including the necessity to run
it on full choke. It was an old machine I inherited from my brother
so I thought it was showing its age. I took the carb apart and later
the engine apart too a number of times each season to service it. It
would work okay for a few jobs then would stall again. It seemed
mechanically okay and there wasn't much else left to fix. That left
only the oil fuel mix to check up on. Sure enough that lean 50:1
ratio fixed the problem. I can now start my snowblower with a few
pulls even in the coldest weather. I need to be very careful to prime
the engine with only three squirts of gas. Start with a full choke
for the first two or three pulls then half choke. The first sputter
and I have to open the choke fully to start.

The engine runs smoothly, no smoke and really sips gas. I use less
than a liter where before I would use 2 liters. I mix gas only as
needed using a 2 liter pop bottle and a dollar store graduated bottle
for dispensing 40 ml of oil. The snowthrower tank is topped up after a
job so there is very little gas in the pop bottle (minimal fire hazard
and cold in winter anyway.) My lawn mower is 4 stroke and needs
straight gas that I can use from the gas tank thereby avoid storing
gas in multiple containers and having to remember which tank is for
what as well as avoiding storing hazardous fuel..

Posted to alt.home.repair

we use the stihl 50;1 mix in all 2 strokes we have , that is that my
brother has. he has a bunch of saws and blowers , takes trees down for a
living. stihl oil is a very good high grade synthetic oil, the echo oil
is as good too. .. lucas