Floating Mind

Default 4 cycle engine

18 hp Briggs & Stratton, 2 cylinder. There is gas in the crankcase oil,
and also oil coming out of the driver's side exhaust port.

I pulled the cover that exposes the valve springs and both valves seem
to be moving correctly, but I haven't pulled the head to see if the
valves are closing completely yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Duane Bozarth

Stormin Mormon wrote:

First thing came to mind was leaky float needle int he carb. Liquid gas
going into the piston, and past th e rings.

First choice followed by (if used) pinhole in fuel pump diaphragm...
Stormin Mormon

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Floating Mind" wrote in message
18 hp Briggs & Stratton, 2 cylinder. There is gas in the crankcase oil,
and also oil coming out of the driver's side exhaust port.

I pulled the cover that exposes the valve springs and both valves seem
to be moving correctly, but I haven't pulled the head to see if the
valves are closing completely yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?

willshak

On 1/17/2005 11:19 AM US(ET), Floating Mind took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

18 hp Briggs & Stratton, 2 cylinder. There is gas in the crankcase oil,
and also oil coming out of the driver's side exhaust port.

I pulled the cover that exposes the valve springs and both valves seem
to be moving correctly, but I haven't pulled the head to see if the
valves are closing completely yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Check the piston rings while you are in there.

--
Bill
m Ransley

Your carb float or float seat is not closing off the gas. Do you leave
the carb gas valve open? You may have alot of gas in the motor and
cilinders. Drain oil, put in new oil , remove plugs and crank to see if
gas comes out. Probably the carburator causing it.

Floating Mind

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll investigate the fuel pump & carb
before I do anything with the head.

Duane Bozarth

Floating Mind wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll investigate the fuel pump & carb
before I do anything with the head.

BTW, it can be a stuck float or a float w/ either a hole in it or if not
a hollow style gas-logged one so it doesn't shut off....check the float
before dismantling the seat/needle valves, etc.

m Ransley

I dought it has a fuel pump, check the float

Before I check the valves, I would look at the drivers side cylinder and rings. Oil is keep separate in
the crankcase. Within the cylinder only fuel, air and exhaust are ever present. The Valve's stem does
extend from the crankcase so checking the valves is not totlally out of the question. I'd have to say
there is a more likely chance of cylinder wearing than the higher pressure blowthrough zone within the valve
chambers. Fuel passes the screens in the carbs reducing debris intrusion although is still possible, now however,
if an air filter is compromised, cylinder damage on some level is more likely. SO keep them filters clean and your engines
will have a longer running life. Also change the oil as often as you can, every 5 hours of run time if the environmental conditions
are anywhere near harse.

Good luck with getting it back in order. Oftentimes damage on this level reduces the engine's value by 90% or more. replacing 1 worn part
while not replacing another doesn't make a good fit or match due to the un-even wear and tear
of part's hours of runtime. just keep your fingers crossed when investigating it out.

L8s
cylinder walls and chomp at cyclinder rings ultimately resulting in oil throughout the remainder of the engine.