Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saw blade choice for Flex moulding?

I have occasion to cut baseboard flex moulding. It is urethane, dense
and just kills my saw blades. The maker states on the web a general
comment about using any saw blade. I called them and a got generic
answer. "we use a spatula", but any blade will work....

I found plenty of info about material and blade selection, but nothing
specific to urethane (6" flex baseboard).

Using 60T or 80T blades.. this stuff kills my 12" miter saw blades. It
has become the last material cut

Any suggestion on a blade type, tooth count, or a better type of
blade? Mine are all ATB blades.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 10, 9:35 pm, Oren wrote:
I have occasion to cut baseboard flex moulding. It is urethane, dense
and just kills my saw blades. The maker states on the web a general
comment about using any saw blade. I called them and a got generic
answer. "we use a spatula", but any blade will work....

I found plenty of info about material and blade selection, but nothing
specific to urethane (6" flex baseboard).

Using 60T or 80T blades.. this stuff kills my 12" miter saw blades. It
has become the last material cut

Any suggestion on a blade type, tooth count, or a better type of
blade? Mine are all ATB blades.

Odds are you saw blade(s) have come across a few nails and lost their
edge. A 12" saw runs at a higher FPM than most and sharpness is
paramount. Check your Yellow Pages for a saw sharpening shop, and if
you're lucky, you may find a technician that really knows his stuff.
He will return your blade with the proper set, both sides and top of
each tooth razor sharp. The side and top cutting action minimizes
friction and the result will be smooth and fuzz free.
Another possible problem could be an unusually abrasive finish on the
molding. The paint pigment could be heavily formulated with silica as
a cheap substitute for titanium dioxide and calcium carbonate blends.
It would take considerable exposure to the finish to cause a saw blade
problem, though. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:56:57 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Dec 10, 9:35 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

This saw has never cut a nail. I'm about to remove a blade and will
ship four off to service for sharpening. When they return I'll be
happy.

This is dense urethane flexible moulding. I can see friction and a
dull blade, this stuff just kills a blade, fast.

There has to be a blade suited for this material. I just haven't found
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 10:35 pm, Oren wrote:
I have occasion to cut baseboard flex moulding. It is urethane, dense
and just kills my saw blades. The maker states on the web a general
comment about using any saw blade. I called them and a got generic
answer. "we use a spatula", but any blade will work....

I found plenty of info about material and blade selection, but nothing
specific to urethane (6" flex baseboard).

Using 60T or 80T blades.. this stuff kills my 12" miter saw blades. It
has become the last material cut

Any suggestion on a blade type, tooth count, or a better type of
blade? Mine are all ATB blades.

Look for a triple chip grind with no more than 5 deree hook,0L degree
hook angle would be optimum, anywhere from 80-100 teeth should do
well for that saw.
ATB blades just don't last so long in plastics which tend to be
abrasive.
There are also special grinds for plastic very similar to a tcg with
the usually straight tooth also having eased corners but I doubt you
will need one for this application.

Daily Grind Sharpening
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:23:55 -0800 (PST), beecrofter
wrote:

On Dec 10, 10:35 pm, Oren wrote:
I have occasion to cut baseboard flex moulding. It is urethane, dense
and just kills my saw blades. The maker states on the web a general
comment about using any saw blade. I called them and a got generic
answer. "we use a spatula", but any blade will work....

I found plenty of info about material and blade selection, but nothing
specific to urethane (6" flex baseboard).

Using 60T or 80T blades.. this stuff kills my 12" miter saw blades. It
has become the last material cut

Any suggestion on a blade type, tooth count, or a better type of
blade? Mine are all ATB blades.

Look for a triple chip grind with no more than 5 deree hook,0L degree
hook angle would be optimum, anywhere from 80-100 teeth should do
well for that saw.

Thanks, I really never knew there was so many variables for a saw
blade until I started looking into my question. To me a blade was rip,
crosscut or finish blade. I've learned different as a DIYer! )

Reading some of the material about blades on the Amana and Freud wed
sites, I did _guess_ the ATB might not be best. I will look for TCG
blades.

ATB blades just don't last so long in plastics which tend to be
abrasive.

Was in a place today, all the 12" blades were ATB, no other choice
(I'll find a TGC).

There are also special grinds for plastic very similar to a tcg with
the usually straight tooth also having eased corners but I doubt you
will need one for this application.

Daily Grind Sharpening

Thanks. ..