Woodchuck

Default Bandsaw blade choice?

Got a 14inch Rigid BS and have a few blades already in 1/4 & 1/2 inch width.
Now I'm thinking that maybe a 5/8" would be great when cutting would produce
results with less drift, and straighter cuts. If this is the case which
blades do you recommend in brand, number of teeth, and type of teeth? Also,
what about going to 3/4"?

regards

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:53:16 -0500, "Woodchuck"
wrote:

Got a 14inch Rigid BS and have a few blades already in 1/4 & 1/2 inch width.

Now I'm thinking that maybe a 5/8" would be great

No, probably worse.

Try reading Duginske - lots of good stuff on blade choice in there.
It also helps to find a clueful blade supplier - most aren't, and
don't even know what tooth pattern they're selling you.

For a typical 14" machine, 5/8" is tops, 3/4" is clearly too much and
1/2" is about as wide as it's sensible to go. There's a minimal
theoretical benefit to the wider blade, but only if your machine can
tension it - which it probably can't.

--
Smert' spamionam
Edwin Pawlowski

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
Got a 14inch Rigid BS and have a few blades already in 1/4 & 1/2 inch
width. Now I'm thinking that maybe a 5/8" would be great when cutting
would produce results with less drift, and straighter cuts. If this is the
case which blades do you recommend in brand, number of teeth, and type of
teeth? Also, what about going to 3/4"?

regards

Many bandsaw specs say then can take a 3/4" blade. Truth is, it will fit
the wheels, but it will not cut any better, maybe even worse.

Instead of a wider blade, look for Duginski's bandsaw book and read it. You
will learn how to set it up properly, how to adjust it so the blade tracks
better, and you will find that a 1/4" blade will do most of the general
cutting you'll ever do. Save the 1/2" for resawing and use the 1/8" for
more intricate work. Better yet, buy two more saws and save that pesky
blade changing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Michael Latcha

Call Suffolk Machinery,

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

and ask them your questions. They are the supplier of Timberwolf blades and
know much more about your saw then any of us. And they are very helpful.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied repeat customer.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
Got a 14inch Rigid BS and have a few blades already in 1/4 & 1/2 inch
width. Now I'm thinking that maybe a 5/8" would be great when cutting
would produce results with less drift, and straighter cuts. If this is the
case which blades do you recommend in brand, number of teeth, and type of
teeth? Also, what about going to 3/4"?

regards

Keith

This Canadian company has quality blades and great service. Good prices too!

Customer
Keith P.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

Jim L.

FWIW, I am using an Olson 5/8, 3 TPI. .025, hook tooth blade in my 60 year
old 14" delta BS.
Blade runs true with no wobble, and I cut 1/8 inch veneer from
hardwoods with great results.
However, I make no claims that a narrower, sharp, coarse blade
will not also do a great job. Jim