Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Default Looking for a moulding

I want to restore the front door on my new house, which at some point
had its external mouldings ripped off and plywood slapped on top.
However I can't find anywhere that sells the bolection moulding with
the right dimensions. Judging from the paint markings on the door, the
moulding needs to cover about 1 inch of the recessed panel, the depth
of which is about 2/3". Does anyone know a UK source which might sell
such a moulding? Or will it probably be necessary to build up something
from two or more mouldings?

Here's a diagram, to be viewed in a monospaced font, showing depth A
(2/3") and coverage distance B (1"), with the rough profile of the
required moulding marked with x's:

xxx
xxxxxxx
========|xxxxxxx
^|xxxxxxxxx
A|xxxxxxxxxxxxx
v|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================---

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
Sorry but that doesn't do it for me .Any chance of posting a pic somewhere . I
know of a place near Glasgow but that might not be practical for you .

Here's a hopefully clearer image:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9...gdimensaz2.png

Obviously, the outer profile of the moulding is just roughed in - it's
an illustration of the dimensions that matter for fitting the moulding
on the door. Glasgow would be doable. I dont suppose they have a
website showing available mouldings? :-)

the other suggestion of getting some custom made - neighbours doors
could be used as a template, but I'm concerned that it might be a bit
expensive to go down that route.

An alternative would be to form the moulding from two pieces (see red
line on diagram). Might be easier to do and give more flexibility in
choosing profiles to combine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Lobster wrote:

(I though that was brilliant bit of ASCII-art actually!)

Thanks

Why does the moulding have to be that specific profile? I've restored
several doors in the past which have been "Barrybucknellised" like yours
in the past; I've just used whatever moulding I could obtain and that
looked good.

There's no exact profile I'm after - whatever looks good, but I would
like a projecting moulding that extends out a bit onto the door
stiles/rails (called a bolection moulding I believe). Just because
that's what was there before and it looks a bit more solid than an
inset moulding, IMO.

I might end up applying an inset moulding that's flush with the door
stile/rail, and then cap the join with another moulding. Achieves the
same ultimate effect, but with a bit more hassle.

It's interesting to see how the detailing in my new house varies
according to how visible it is to 'the public', so cornicing is
fanciest in the sitting room - where the door has bolection mouldings,
and elsewhere the cornicing gets less ornate, and doors get inset
mouldings. Victorians were clearly a bunch of cheapskates interested in
spending as little as possible to project an image of wealth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 5 Dec 2006 05:21:47 -0800, wrote:

Stuart wrote:
Sorry but that doesn't do it for me .Any chance of posting a pic somewhere . I
know of a place near Glasgow but that might not be practical for you .

Here's a hopefully clearer image:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9...gdimensaz2.png

Obviously, the outer profile of the moulding is just roughed in - it's
an illustration of the dimensions that matter for fitting the moulding
on the door. Glasgow would be doable. I dont suppose they have a
website showing available mouldings? :-)

Here is a pic of the profile of the moulding I used .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/IMG_6226.jpg

It's 37mm x 20mm with a bit that overhangs ( the red part) that is 5mm wide .
The bit below the red part is about 12mm deep
The company is Express Timber Products of Abercorn Street,Paisley .Tel 0141
848 0102 . I don't think they have a website .
As I said in an e-mail if you want a sample of this particular moulding posted
to you let me know .
cheers
Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Victorians were clearly a bunch of cheapskates interested in
spending as little as possible to project an image of wealth.

Well what's changed?

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:

Here is a pic of the profile of the moulding I used .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/IMG_6226.jpg

It's 37mm x 20mm with a bit that overhangs ( the red part) that is 5mm wide .
The bit below the red part is about 12mm deep
The company is Express Timber Products of Abercorn Street,Paisley .Tel 0141
848 0102 . I don't think they have a website .
As I said in an e-mail if you want a sample of this particular moulding posted
to you let me know .
cheers
Stuart .

Thanks Stuart, but in this case the rebate depth (12mm) would be too
shallow for it to be suitable by itself. Perhaps it could be packed out
underneath to raise it to the full 2/3 inch or so.
I did already find a bolection/raised panel moulding at 'Build Center'
but the dimensions were not right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SirBenjamin wrote:
Its whats known as a raised panel moulding.

LOL, I'm afraid I'll have to take your first answer. :-)

Anyway, I was wanting to know if anyone knew of a source of such a
moulding with the specified dimensions. Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

normanwisdom wrote:

Victorians were clearly a bunch of cheapskates interested in
spending as little as possible to project an image of wealth.

Well what's changed?

Nowadays we're just cheapskates, I guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 5 Dec 2006 10:09:58 -0800, wrote:

Stuart wrote:

Here is a pic of the profile of the moulding I used .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g/IMG_6226.jpg

It's 37mm x 20mm with a bit that overhangs ( the red part) that is 5mm wide .
The bit below the red part is about 12mm deep
The company is Express Timber Products of Abercorn Street,Paisley .Tel 0141
848 0102 . I don't think they have a website .
As I said in an e-mail if you want a sample of this particular moulding posted
to you let me know .
cheers
Stuart .

Thanks Stuart, but in this case the rebate depth (12mm) would be too
shallow for it to be suitable by itself. Perhaps it could be packed out
underneath to raise it to the full 2/3 inch or so.
I did already find a bolection/raised panel moulding at 'Build Center'
but the dimensions were not right.

A suitable thickess piece of timber would do the job I'm sure . How many mm do
you mean by 2/3rd inch ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:
A suitable thickess piece of timber would do the job I'm sure . How many mm do
you mean by 2/3rd inch ?

That was the closest imperial measurement to the mm measurement that I
made. Since it's Victorian the original moulding would have been in
inches. After perusing the internets it looks like it might be 11/16"
as that is a measurement which crops up in moulding dimensions.
Alternatively it could be 3/4" and I've not measured it accurately!
It's looking like an off-the-shelf solution is probably not available,
but building up from more than one piece is more 'interesting' anyway,
so no worries.
The moulding I found at Build Center (sic) has a rebate of 12mm depth.
Get 4mm stripwood... buy router table... increase rebate depth... put
nice edge on stripwood... This option has the benefit of making me buy
a router table.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Lobster wrote:
OK, I've certainly seen that stuff (projection moulding?) around, but
can't recall exactly where... I'd have guessed at simply somewhere like
B&Q or Wickes, but presumably you've tried them?

Either they didnt stock any such moulding, or they did, but with the
wrong dimensions, IIRC.

Have you looked at the Richard Burbridge range? Might be worth a phone
call:

Thanks, I'll try that - it would be useful if they had an online
brochure of their range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 2006-12-05 10:50:41 +0000, said:

I want to restore the front door on my new house, which at some point
had its external mouldings ripped off and plywood slapped on top.
However I can't find anywhere that sells the bolection moulding with
the right dimensions. Judging from the paint markings on the door, the
moulding needs to cover about 1 inch of the recessed panel, the depth
of which is about 2/3". Does anyone know a UK source which might sell
such a moulding? Or will it probably be necessary to build up something
from two or more mouldings?

Here's a diagram, to be viewed in a monospaced font, showing depth A
(2/3") and coverage distance B (1"), with the rough profile of the
required moulding marked with x's:

xxx
xxxxxxx
========|xxxxxxx
^|xxxxxxxxx
A|xxxxxxxxxxxxx
v|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================---

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The best solution for this would be to take a sample or a dimensioned
drawing to a joinery firm and ask them to run the section for you on a
spindle moulder.

For a short run like this, tooling could be made for £20-30 to work
with a universal cutter block

Look at

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/...ooling_91.html

as an example. A joinery firm should have the blocks already and will
be able to have knives made quite easily from a sample of the profile
or the drawing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On 6 Dec 2006 02:52:07 -0800, wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

LOL...Just because the original was made in Imperial doesn't mean you have to
measure it now in that .LOL

Building the moulding from more than one piece might well be more interesting
when you only have one door to do but luckily the moulding I have fitted my
doors and I had 9 door sides to do ,each with 4 panels ( 16 mitres to each
door).

I reckon you should use a "near enough" moulding like the one I suggested and
slip a thin piece of wood beneath to give you the correct depth of the recessed
part. No point in giving yourself unnecessary work or causing you additional
expense.

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I want to restore the front door on my new house, which at some point
had its external mouldings ripped off and plywood slapped on top.

Try
Thames Moulding Co
16b Whytecliffe Rd South
Purley Surrey CR8 2AU
Tel: 020 8668 0332

Their catalogue shows 21 bolections.

Toby

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

Toby Sleigh wrote:

Try
Thames Moulding Co
16b Whytecliffe Rd South
Purley Surrey CR8 2AU
Tel: 020 8668 0332

Their catalogue shows 21 bolections.

Great, thanks Toby. They are faxing me the bolection moulding pages of
their catalogue. Fingers crossed something will be usable...

Moulding sand Frank Erskine UK diy 9 November 9th 05 09:28 AM
Moulding on Table Saw [email protected] Woodworking 17 November 3rd 05 02:45 AM
crown moulding [email protected] Woodworking 2 October 21st 05 01:25 AM
crown moulding h Home Repair 8 March 22nd 05 02:41 AM