Frank Erskine

Default Moulding sand

Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding ("green")
sand and parting sand? Preferably in the NE.

TIA -
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Andrew Mawson

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding

("green")
sand and parting sand? Preferably in the NE.

TIA -
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

John Winter & Co (01422-330493)

AWEM

Frank Erskine

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 16:08:29 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding

("green")
sand and parting sand? Preferably in the NE.

TIA -
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

John Winter & Co (01422-330493)

AWEM

Many thanks Andrew.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Holly, in France

Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding ("green")
sand and parting sand?

Have to ask, what sand is this?! Moulding as in making moulds or
moulding as green and mouldy? :-) Parting sand?? Do tell......
--
Holly, in France
Holiday Home in Dordogne

Chris Bacon

Holly, in France wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding ("green")
sand and parting sand?

Have to ask, what sand is this?! Moulding as in making moulds

That's it.

Andrew Mawson

"Holly, in France" wrote in message
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of small quantities of moulding

("green")
sand and parting sand?

Have to ask, what sand is this?! Moulding as in making moulds or
moulding as green and mouldy? :-) Parting sand?? Do tell......
--
Holly, in France
Holiday Home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr/

Holly,

Moulding sand - used in foundries for producing the female form into
which molten metal is cast in the 'green sand' process. Typically the
sand is actually a redish black colour in fact. Sand from the
Mansfield area was used historically - the sand needs to have suitable
sized particles (to give permeability and the required finish) and
some form of binder to keep it in shape. Sand is now screened to size
and blended with bentonite (a clay) to give the required properties.
However the green sand process has largely given way to the resin
bonded process (resin pre-mixed with sand in a hopper, and mixed with
a catylist as it is drawn off for use) or the Silicate process (dry
silica sand mixed with sodium silicate - {waterglass or issinglass}
and hardened by blowing carbon dioxide through the mould.

Parting sand is silica flour, and is put between the two halves of a
mould (cope and drag) and on the pattern to prevent them sticking and
allowing the pattern to be removed to form the cavity without sand
clinging and marring the finished item.

AWEM

I used to use slightly damp builders soft sand to make moulds for lead
sash weights. It usually has enough clay in it to keep its shape. Come
to think local (Matlock) builders merchant sand is often reddish and
probably comes from Mansfield area.
Are industrial sand moulds re-used or just once only?

cheers

Jacob

Holly, in France

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Moulding sand - used in foundries for producing the female form into
which molten metal is cast in the 'green sand' process. snip

details....

Many thanks for such a detailed explanation Andrew. I have vague
memories of seeing sand moulds during a school trip to a bell foundry in
Loughborough (?) in the early 70s. I really should have paid more
attention at the time :-)

Holly, in France wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Moulding sand - used in foundries for producing the female form into
which molten metal is cast in the 'green sand' process. snip

details....

Many thanks for such a detailed explanation Andrew. I have vague
memories of seeing sand moulds during a school trip to a bell foundry in
Loughborough (?) in the early 70s. I really should have paid more
attention at the time :-)

We used it *in* school in the 70s, for casting. That was when we had
proper lessons.

MBQ