Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging cabinets 24" OC studs

Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've discovered
the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which means there will be a
couple of cabinets that only hit one stud. As this is my first attempt at
hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few of you might have some advice for me.
One, is this going to be ok? I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets
together at the faces essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind
of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one stud. Two, would you
recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to the studs and use that as
my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would no doubt give me more strength
but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Anyway, thanks much for any advice
you may have.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cubby wrote:
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've
discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which
means there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud.
As this is my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few
of you might have some advice for me. One, is this going to be ok?

Yes
____________

I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets together at the faces
essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind of extreme to
be hanging a cabinet on only one stud.

Once hooked to other cabinets it is not just on one stud. Even not
hooked to others it would probably be OK except for its tendency to
spin like a dervish

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cubby" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've
discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which means
there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud. As this is
my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few of you might have
some advice for me. One, is this going to be ok? I know that I'll be
screwing the cabinets together at the faces essentially creating one
cabinet but this seems kind of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one
stud. Two, would you recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to
the studs and use that as my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would no
doubt give me more strength but I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Anyway, thanks much for any advice you may have.
Cheers,
cc

Add a ledger across the wall that is screwed into all of the studs, then
rest the cabinets on the ledger. A 1x4 painted the same color as the wall
will do well -- especially since this is a laundry room where aesthetics are
less important. You can also make the ledger more functional by using it as
the backing for a towel rod or such. The weight of the cabinets is held by
the ledger, and the screw through the back of the cabinet into the stud is
just to keep the cabinet from falling forward off the ledger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might be able to cut a piece pf 3/4"plywood the exact same size as
the cabinets assembled together will be and screw it to the wall, then
mount the cabinets to it. Afterwards, put a piece of quarter round all
the way around to cover the plywood. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe in French cleats. Here is an explanation that is easier
than me trying:
http://www.showmehowtodothis.com/car...nch-cleat.html

fasten one to the wall, the other to the cabinet(s); add a piece
at the bottom to maintain the dimension - the bottom one does not
need to be a french cleat. The angle cut does not need to be 45,
I usually use 25.

You may need to use a piece of trim at the ends of the cabinet to
conceal.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Cubby" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've
discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which
means there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud.
As this is my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a
few of you might have some advice for me. One, is this going to
be ok? I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets together at
the faces essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind
of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one stud. Two,
would you recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to the
studs and use that as my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would
no doubt give me more strength but I'd rather avoid that if
possible. Anyway, thanks much for any advice you may have.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Abe wrote:
Cubby wrote:
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've
discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which
means there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud.
As this is my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a
few of you might have some advice for me. One, is this going to
be ok?

I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets together at the faces
essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind of extreme to
be hanging a cabinet on only one stud.

Once hooked to other cabinets it is not just on one stud. Even not
hooked to others it would probably be OK except for its tendency to
spin like a dervish

I beg to differ. Screwing the cabinets together at the faces doesn't
provide the necessary support in the front, and certainly at the
back.

Differ all you want but the *OTHER* cabinets have fastenings to the
studs too, you know. And there is no support at the front - ever -
other than the cabinets being screwed together. BTW, OP, a good place
for those screws is under the hinge if possible. Won't show there.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks folks for the replies. I think there are a myriad of ways to do
this. I really don't want to hack up the wall too awfully much to install
2x4 blocking and was really hoping to avoid using a french cleat system
(although for my shop, I intend to do just that.....once I get a shop ).
Although in saying that, I will probably go that route or something similar.
And I was really hoping to have all of these up today.....sigh.
Cheers,
cc