Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging cabinets 24" OC studs

Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've discovered
the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which means there will be a
couple of cabinets that only hit one stud. As this is my first attempt at
hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few of you might have some advice for me.
One, is this going to be ok? I know that I'll be screwing the cabinets
together at the faces essentially creating one cabinet but this seems kind
of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one stud. Two, would you
recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to the studs and use that as
my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would no doubt give me more strength
but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Anyway, thanks much for any advice
you may have.
Cheers,
cc