Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Hanging cabinets 24" OC studs

"Cubby" wrote in message
. ..
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of hanging cabinets in my laundry room. I've
discovered the studs are 24" OC (not real happy bout this) which means
there will be a couple of cabinets that only hit one stud. As this is
my first attempt at hanging cabinets, I was hoping a few of you might have
some advice for me. One, is this going to be ok? I know that I'll be
screwing the cabinets together at the faces essentially creating one
cabinet but this seems kind of extreme to be hanging a cabinet on only one
stud. Two, would you recommend I remove some sheetrock, attach a 1x4 to
the studs and use that as my "nailer" (top and bottom)? This would no
doubt give me more strength but I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Anyway, thanks much for any advice you may have.
Cheers,
cc

Add a ledger across the wall that is screwed into all of the studs, then
rest the cabinets on the ledger. A 1x4 painted the same color as the wall
will do well -- especially since this is a laundry room where aesthetics are
less important. You can also make the ledger more functional by using it as
the backing for a towel rod or such. The weight of the cabinets is held by
the ledger, and the screw through the back of the cabinet into the stud is
just to keep the cabinet from falling forward off the ledger.