Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Covering up Electrical J-Box

Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of putting some cabinets up in my laundry room. In the
process, I am putting in a pantry and there is a receptacle that could be
covered up. I know that all junctions need to be accessible so I am
initially planning to cut a hole in the side of the pantry to access the
receptacle. But one question comes to mind and for the life of me, I
cannot find my NEC code book. If this receptacle is at the end of a
circuit, can I simply remove the receptacle, cap the wires and put a blank
cap over it? There would then be no "junctions" per se and I could try to
track down the other ends of the wires and disconnect them too. Keeping in
mind that a pantry will then go over the blank plate. I suspect the answer
is no but thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of the group. Thanks much.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I agree with you. If there is no splice to come loose, what would be the
problem? I believe to do it properly, you'd have to disconnect the
conductors at the previous junction.

"Cubby" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I agree with you. If there is no splice to come loose, what would be the
problem? I believe to do it properly, you'd have to disconnect the
conductors at the previous junction.

Thanks. I have yet to open it up to see what's inside as I currently have
a freezer sitting in the way. Just my luck will be that it's not at the end
of the ckt. But it makes sense to me that if I disconnect at the previous
junction, assuming it is at the end of a ckt, I should be fine to cover the
J-Box up.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:17 pm, "Cubby" wrote:
[...]

Why not just cut the outlet into the cabinet? Theres nothing wrong
with that, in fact thats how microwaves above the stove are hooked up,
with an outlet in the cabinet above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I agree with you. If there is no splice to come loose, what would be the
problem? I believe to do it properly, you'd have to disconnect the
conductors at the previous junction.

What if vibration caused the wire nut to fall off? Sure, it is one in a
million, but **** happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I would use tape on the wires, not nuts

Tape can chafe, adhesive on tape can loosen, especially at elevated
temperatures. No matter how you justify taking the easy way out, there is
always the possibility a problem can arise, next week, next year, next
decade.

Codes are written for a reason. Don't expect us to give you a blessing to
circumvent them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I would use tape on the wires, not nuts

Tape can chafe, adhesive on tape can loosen, especially at elevated
temperatures. No matter how you justify taking the easy way out, there is
always the possibility a problem can arise, next week, next year, next
decade.

Codes are written for a reason. Don't expect us to give you a blessing to
circumvent them.

I'm no expert, but I believe that if he disconnects the wires at the
upstream box, clips off the stripped ends, and pushes it out of the box
to drop down in the wall, no inspector would consider it a violation. He
could then completely pry out or otherwise obliterate the end box on the
run and not be in violation. Wire runs are abandoned in place all the
time- you just have to make it obvious to the guy 20 years from now that
the wire is not available for use.

But having said that, I agree with the others- cut a hole in the new
cabinet, put on an extension ring, and make an outlet inside the cabinet.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
But having said that, I agree with the others- cut a hole in the new
cabinet, put on an extension ring, and make an outlet inside the cabinet.

--
aem sends...

As fate would have it, this was not at the end of the circuit so I couldn't
abandon the wires and cover it up. If that had been the case, I would have
traced them back to their feed and disconnected those and sent them into the
wall. So, I did in fact cut a hole in the cabinet but am not planning on
putting a recept. in. Just plate it off. Thanks much for your help.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Why not just cut the outlet into the cabinet? Theres nothing wrong
with that, in fact thats how microwaves above the stove are hooked up,
with an outlet in the cabinet above.

That's what I ended up doing although I didn't install a recept in there,
just a plate.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I am only stating my opinion, not asking for any approval, or suggesting
anyone circumvent the code

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I would use tape on the wires, not nuts

Tape can chafe, adhesive on tape can loosen, especially at elevated
temperatures. No matter how you justify taking the easy way out, there is
always the possibility a problem can arise, next week, next year, next
decade.

Codes are written for a reason. Don't expect us to give you a blessing to
circumvent them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:54:03 -0700, "Cubby" wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I agree with you. If there is no splice to come loose, what would be the
problem? I believe to do it properly, you'd have to disconnect the
conductors at the previous junction.

Thanks. I have yet to open it up to see what's inside as I currently have
a freezer sitting in the way. Just my luck will be that it's not at the end
of the ckt. But it makes sense to me that if I disconnect at the previous
junction, assuming it is at the end of a ckt, I should be fine to cover the
J-Box up.
Cheers,
cc

If you disconnect the wires from the circuit at the other end, there
no longer is any code involved, because it's no longer wiring, just
something to decorate the inside of the walls. On the other hand, can
you reverse it so it can be used on the other side of the same wall
(in the adjoining room)? There never are enough outlets and this
might be easier than finding the source to disconnect. Just a
thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 04:36:50 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I always like the idea of leaving notes inside things like that for
future people. Of course you can be nice, or you can scare the ****
out of them. For example, a note inside the box reads:

"To the future owner of this dump. These wires were disconnected
after the outlet exploded, sending a shower of sparks all over the
place, which ignited the drapes and set the place on fire. The fire
department determined that the electricity entering this box comes
from an unknown foreign source, and is not standard to the U.S. codes.
Connecting these wires to any device could detonate a nuclear reactor
explosion. DO NOT TOUCH THEM.".

That ought to scare the pants off some future kid who just started his
first day on the job as an electrician. LOL

------

Covering Concrete Bazza UK diy 5 June 29th 07 03:46 AM
Covering floorboards [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 1st 07 08:04 PM
covering floorboards/ply [email protected] UK diy 1 February 1st 07 12:01 PM
Covering an air return Les and Gina Home Repair 11 August 2nd 05 02:28 PM
Covering over a hole in an electrical box toller Home Repair 2 December 29th 04 05:48 PM