Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Covering up Electrical J-Box

On Dec 9, 12:17 pm, "Cubby" wrote:
Hiya Folks,
I'm in the process of putting some cabinets up in my laundry room. In the
process, I am putting in a pantry and there is a receptacle that could be
covered up. I know that all junctions need to be accessible so I am
initially planning to cut a hole in the side of the pantry to access the
receptacle. But one question comes to mind and for the life of me, I
cannot find my NEC code book. If this receptacle is at the end of a
circuit, can I simply remove the receptacle, cap the wires and put a blank
cap over it? There would then be no "junctions" per se and I could try to
track down the other ends of the wires and disconnect them too. Keeping in
mind that a pantry will then go over the blank plate. I suspect the answer
is no but thought I'd ask the collective wisdom of the group. Thanks much.
Cheers,
cc

Why not just cut the outlet into the cabinet? Theres nothing wrong
with that, in fact thats how microwaves above the stove are hooked up,
with an outlet in the cabinet above.