Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Covering floorboards

Want to cover my very uneven floorboards, couple of questions. what
thickness ply should I use ?, and do I need to pad out the uneveness
with some underlay to stop the ply bouncing, and third - do I need an
expansion gap around the the ply next to the wall ? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 1, 6:00 am, "
wrote:
Want to cover my very uneven floorboards, couple of questions. what
thickness ply should I use ?, and do I need to pad out the uneveness
with some underlay to stop the ply bouncing, and third - do I need an
expansion gap around the the ply next to the wall ? thanks

What are you putting on the newly levelled floor? Carpet? Vinyl tile?
Pergo? All have different requirements.
IMO, best way to deal with the floor is rent a sander, get it as flat
as you can, glue down a low cost luann plywood for carpet, a stout
1/2" or better plywood for tile and same for engineered wood.
Before sanding flat, nail down the floor boards to the joists with
ring shank nails. Expansion gaps are based on material...follow
directions. HTH

Joe

covering floorboards/ply [email protected] UK diy 1 February 1st 07 12:01 PM
Floorboards on Concrete Adrian Rees MW1LCR UK diy 12 September 1st 06 11:33 AM
layout of floorboards gjam UK diy 6 May 13th 06 11:22 PM
Lifting floorboards? Matthew UK diy 20 March 16th 06 01:20 PM
Sheeting floorboards littleroots UK diy 1 June 6th 05 10:37 PM