Posted to uk.d-i-y
gjam

Default layout of floorboards

I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which
direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down
hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I
do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room.
Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room
and hallway?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Beard

gjam wrote:
I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which
direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down
hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I
do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room.
Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room
and hallway?

I recommend laying them at right-angles to the joists.

This stops them falling through.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gjam

I didn't think to say that it is a purpose built flat with concrete
floors. But thanks for the advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

gjam wrote:
I didn't think to say that it is a purpose built flat with concrete
floors. But thanks for the advice.

So where does the floorboards come into it? or did you mean laminate
flooring. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow

Matt Beard wrote:
gjam wrote:
I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which
direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down
hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I
do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room.
Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room
and hallway?

I recommend laying them at right-angles to the joists.

This stops them falling through.

Isn't that what the tongues and grooves are for ;-)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On 13 May 2006 08:02:22 -0700, "Matt Beard" wrote:

gjam wrote:
I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which
direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down
hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I
do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room.
Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room
and hallway?

I recommend laying them at right-angles to the joists.

This stops them falling through.

Tricky doing it the other way isn't it .........lol...If the Op manages it maybe
he'll let us know how he did it ..

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

gjam wrote:
I am due to put down some flooring next week and am unsure which
direction boards should go. I am hoping to run them straight down
hallway lengthways and into living room without a door strip, but if I
do this the boards will run crossways to the window of living room.
Will it look alright or should I put in a door strip beteen living room
and hallway?

Put in a door strip, you should have an expansion gap between rooms.

As to which way, it's been said before notsologogo but
if laying on existing boards, crosswise to the existing boards for
stability.
otherwise, its a combination of aesthetics and convenience:
in a rectangular room along the longest dimension tends to long best,
the perspective effect of parallel lines receding away from the
principle entrance or toward the principle view out of a window pleases
the eye,
starting with a strip against the longest straight run of wall may make
setting out easier,
click fit type boards can be put down and taken up first in first out,
but putting them back after lifting only half the floor for maintenance
isn't so easy (the click fit doesn't click so well when done grove into
tongue). So if latter access is required lay so the part needing access
is the last to go down (i.e. LIFO).
In very small rooms, break any of the above to save awkward cutting and
manipulation.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk

Laying new floorboards Sean UK diy 10 April 5th 06 10:37 PM
Kitchen wiring layout James H UK diy 5 June 28th 05 10:27 PM
lifting and relaying old floorboards jack UK diy 4 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
Online Sheet-Metal Layout Center Opens Andrew Metalworking 0 July 9th 04 03:28 PM
Square to round cone sheetmetal layout Joris van der Sande Metalworking 2 April 20th 04 04:08 AM