Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions on new washing machine

Hello,

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing
machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2
years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator
and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but
have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would
like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading
washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what
will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years
down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.

Thanks for your time
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing
machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2
years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator

I was the unfortunate owner of a set of Kenmore front
loader washing machine. the thing shook so bad that I
could never get it to spin without vibration. The main
seal finally went out of it so I took it to steel scrap
yard!!

I probably wont buy a front loader ever again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 8:31 am, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:56:37 -0700, Rick Blaine

If possible I would
like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading
washers have fewer problems.

As a point of interest, all new top loaders are being held to the same energy
and water use standards as front loaders. That means that for the time being,
you will not find a top loader that can clean as well as a front loader...

That's simply nonsense.

I saw something of a study showing front loaders don't clean as well
as top loader. However, they were being quite critical about stain
removal. Stains should be removed ahead of time anyway.

Have been using a front loader (the cheapest Frigidaire) for more than
five years and I am sold on it because I think is is much easier on
clothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have been using a front loader (the cheapest Frigidaire) for more than
five years and I am sold on it because I think is is much easier on
clothing.

what model is it?

My Kenmore didn't last but 7 years...and it was made by
Frigidaire
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's hard to beat a Whirlpool top loader. The damn things are
bulletproof

That what I'm buying.... Whirlpool top loader.

Any advice on what model to get tho? Or will even the
cheapest Whirlpool top loaders work OK and LAST?
Posted to alt.home.repair

My daughter and son-in-law have an LG front-loader,

LG's look nice... but they are PRICEY!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 11:52�am, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
My daughter and son-in-law have an LG front-loader,

LG's look nice... but they are PRICEY!

Yes, I've priced them. �Both kids work, so being able to do a ton of
wash at one time is probably good.

front loaders save water, sewage and energy, but cost so much more
than top loaders they will never in their lifespan save any real money
since they cost so much more......

just compare the purcase cost of front load vs top load, then add in
much higher repair costs of front loaders......

drum bearing fails, need new drum bearing part of assembly, 500 bucks
installed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:38:14 -0500, Norminn

Hello,

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing
machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2
years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator
and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but
have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would
like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading
washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what
will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years
down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.

Thanks for your time

My daughter and son-in-law have an LG front-loader, don't know the
model. They love it, pack it with a ton of blue jeans or steam delicate
stuff. When powered on, it looks like a NASA control panel )
I noticed when I did some laundry at their house that one printed
t-shirt was missing the metallic part of the screen-printed decoration,
but it may have worn off earlier and I had not noticed. I have wanted a
front-loader for a long time but hubby isn't convinced. Our dryer is
probably terminal, but the old Maytag just won't die. )

Keep your old Maytag and repair it at all costs when needed....I can't
comment on the Maytag washers after they were bought out by Whirlpool
but the ones prior to the buyout are complete trash. I would have paid
$1000 now to repair our old Maytag's transmission when it went.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any advice on what model to get tho? Or will even the
cheapest Whirlpool top loaders work OK and LAST?

They are all basically the same mechanics, the difference is in drum
size, drum coatings and how fancy the timer is. I like the ones with
knobs because the touch pad is probably going to be the first thing to
fail.

OK..... kind of what I "thought" but needed confirmed

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are all basically the same mechanics, the difference is in drum
size, drum coatings and how fancy the timer is. I like the ones with
knobs because the touch pad is probably going to be the first thing to
fail.

Any advice on what drum coating to get?

I'm single and live alone....so minimal use/stress on a
washer
Posted to alt.home.repair

LG's look nice... but they are PRICEY!

They do a fabulous job. My only complaint is that the washer takes 50-70
minutes to do a wash. It's weird having a washer that takes longer than
the dryer. I make up for it by doing huge loads.

Id like to have the LG unit that is BOTH a washer/dryer
in one machine... but cant afford it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

front loaders save water, sewage and energy, but cost so much more
than top loaders they will never in their lifespan save any real money
since they cost so much more......

just compare the purcase cost of front load vs top load, then add in
much higher repair costs of front loaders......

drum bearing fails, need new drum bearing part of assembly, 500 bucks
installed

Agree

That's what happened to my Kenmore front loader that I
bought new in 2000.

The main seal and bearing failed after 7 yrs light use.
Would have had to replace the ENTIRE inner drum unit as
the bearing itself can not be replaced alone. Took
unit to steel scrap yard where it is now setting. Never
again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, wrote:
Hello,

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing
machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2
years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator
and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but
have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would
like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading
washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what
will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years
down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.

Thanks for your time

We have two front loaders (one for us, one for our tenants) - one is a
Maytag Neptune and the other a Whirlpool. Both have been workhorses.
The Whirlpool is roughly 9 years old and has never needed a repair
(knock on wood). The Neptune is about 5 years old and has had only
one repair (blew an internal fuse last summer - took the repair guy
about 5 minutes to find and fix. Since he was there, he gave the rest
of the machine a quick check and said it looked fine). We like the
Neptune the best as it does a very good job spinning the excess water
out of the clothes resulting in less time in the dryer.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 07:40:12 -0800 (PST), Rich256
wrote:

Have been using a front loader (the cheapest Frigidaire) for more than
five years and I am sold on it because I think is is much easier on
clothing.

Me, too, and we have the Frigidaire Gallery. Works great, washes a
lot of clothes, and cleans the big comforters, too. In fact, I need
to go check the laundry right now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello,

Thanks for everyones input on this...However the suggestions
have been all over the place! I'm looking for something which won't
tear my clothes. I'm sure that it was a defect in My Maytag Atlantis
washing machine that was causing the problem but don't want to get a
top loader unless the suggestion from the forum agrees I should give
it a try. There was also suggestions on getting a Whirlpool so I'll
start looking into that as well.

I'm looking into possibly getting this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...p-Load+Washers

Nick

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:33:49 -0500, wrote:

Hello,

I was the unfortunate owner of a Maytag Atlantis washing
machine which has been chewing our clothes since we purchased it 2 1/2
years ago. I have tried everything including replacing the agitator
and have had it with the machine. I'm looking to buy a replacement but
have not seen anything that hasn't had problems. If possible I would
like to get a front loading washing but have heard that top loading
washers have fewer problems. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what
will be reliable as well as serviceable when the time comes 5-10 years
down the road? I can do some of the major repairs if necessary.

Thanks for your time

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm looking into possibly getting this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...p-Load+Washers

That's the same model I've been looking at as well!

I'm single..... so don't think Id put a lot of "stress"
on a washing machine so hopefully a cheap one will do
OK
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Fisher and Paykel

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/

You won't have to worry about fixing it after only 5 or 10 years, either.

I just got the new Consumer Reports Buying Guide, and it ranks Fisher
& Paykel next to the bottom among top loaders:

Percentage of failures for top loaders bought from 2002-2006::

Roper (by Whirlpool): 7%
General Electric: 9%
Frigidai 10%
Sears Kenmore (mostly Whirlpool): 10%
Whirlpool: 10%
Maytag: 12%
Fisher & Paykel: 15%
Amana: 15%
Kitchenaid: 18%

Percentage of failures for front loaders bought from 2002-2006:

Whirlpool: 9%
General Electric: 10%
Sears Kenmo 10%
Frigidai 12%
Maytag: 19%
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm looking into possibly getting this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...p-Load+Washers

You may want to check the June 2007 Consumer Reports or their 2008
Buying Guide to see how bad some conventional top loaders have
become. They rated the Whirlpool WTW 5840S(W) and similar Sears
Kenmore models as being poor at getting clothes clean. OTOH the
Whirlpool WTW5300Q rated average for washing, and it may be similar to
the WTW5320S that you're considering.

www.fixitnow.com has appliance forums where you can find out from the
technicians themselves what are the best, worst, and most reliable
products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just got the new Consumer Reports Buying Guide, and it ranks Fisher
& Paykel next to the bottom among top loaders:

I saw that in CR as well.... strange as there should be
less parts in an FP top loader so less problems?

But maybe not. Anyway it gave me pause abt buying an
FP unit!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

You may want to check the June 2007 Consumer Reports or their 2008
Buying Guide to see how bad some conventional top loaders have
become.

Yep....saw that as well..... but I just cant afford a
front loader even tho Id like one..... cant spend
almost $1000 on one right now

So.... guess will just have to live with less clean
clothes from top ,loader. sigh
Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

You may want to check the June 2007 Consumer Reports or their 2008
Buying Guide to see how bad some conventional top loaders have
become. They rated the Whirlpool WTW 5840S(W) and similar Sears
Kenmore models as being poor at getting clothes clean. OTOH the
Whirlpool WTW5300Q rated average for washing, and it may be similar to
the WTW5320S that you're considering.

Yep saw that in CR's Buying Guide

Strange thing tho... CR recommends the Whirlpool 5540
as an even better "cheap" top loader but I've not been
able to find that model anywhere!! Is it
discontinued?

www.fixitnow.com has appliance forums where you can find out from the
technicians themselves what are the best, worst, and most reliable
products.

Ok thanks

Need Suggestions for Repair/Replacement of Washing Machine Mike Home Repair 13 October 14th 06 02:29 AM
Which Washing Machine ?? Tim.. UK diy 42 August 25th 06 06:46 PM
Need to find a cnc machine for prototyping. Any suggestions? [email protected] Metalworking 5 May 26th 06 01:46 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM
Washing Machine Tom J Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:43 PM